Edmund Ware Smith?

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

bob2935
Master Guide

Edmund Ware Smith?

Post by bob2935 »

I keep going back further in time, trying to find classic fishing and hunting stories and really enjoying the humor in the One Eyed Poacher by Edmund Ware Smith. Are there other favorite titles that members really enjoy that they can suggest. Not sure how many books are out their by Smith. Love that whole theme of rustic Maine. Kind of reminds me of the Corey Ford Lower 40 stories in those old Field and Streams but even more fun.

Thanks Bohemian Bob
Last edited by bob2935 on 01/05/23 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Edward Ware Smith?

Post by jeffkn1 »

Great stuff. Captures a lot of the small town rural flavor.
Last edited by jeffkn1 on 01/05/23 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Ha! As always; "A Wedding Gift" by J.T. Foote. A classic. I read it every year about this time, and it always makes me laugh and brings me to another place and time. :) In fact most of his work does that for me.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Tranquility and Tranquility Revisited by Harold P. Sheldon

Haven't read it in awhile, but Smith also wrote the Tomato Can Chronicle

Grouse Feathers, More Grouse Feathers and Fishin' Around by Spiller

I know some claim his stories come from others, but some of my favorite hunting stories are by Russell Annable.

Anything by Havilah Babcock

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Edmund Ware Smith?

Post by Booman2 »

Dana Lamb. His writing is fantastic, IMO. I think he wrote about 9 books, gave the proceeds to saving Atlantic Salmon.
Edmund Ware Smith wrote a few Derrydale books, Tomatoe Can Chronicles, Tall Tales and Short, Up River and Down are some. There are a couple others, easily found via Bibliofind, etc.
Just my take, but I think that the fly fishing writers of the 1940-1950 era locked in some great prose. This was back when we fished classic hatches with Payne and Leonard rods, and did not know about bobbers or bead heads.

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

I used to know Jack Glidden (Bentley"s Brother)we'd be sitting on the bench at the Reversing Falls Salmon Pool waiting for our turn in the rotation.
He'd bum a smoke off me and tell unprinted Jake's Ranger Story's
Sadly nobody's sitting on that bench now a days

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

VanfromMaine wrote:
01/07/23 15:02
I used to know Jack Glidden (Bentley"s Brother)we'd be sitting on the bench at the Reversing Falls Salmon Pool waiting for our turn in the rotation.
He'd bum a smoke off me and tell unprinted Jake's Ranger Story's
Sadly nobody's sitting on that bench now a days
Great stuff So many of my favorite people to fish with are no longer around. I miss them especially "Johnny Canada".. He made a big impression on me. Bohemian Bob

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

I’ve read a couple other books by EW Smith that we’re in the same vein. One was Upriver and Down. Don’t remember the other title. If you want stories of rural Maine, there’s a very good mystery series about a Maine game warden by Paul Doiron, starting with The Poacher’s Son.

Return to “Book Talk”