3 goog reads

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

3 goog reads

Post by Booman2 »

Here are three books that are somewhat unique and, IMO, well worth reading:
1. "Oregon Bamboo," by Joe Beelart. Joe is an ex-Marine F-4 fighter pilot with Vietnam credentials, but is now (usually) a pretty normal guy. His book profiles a bunch of lesser-known bamboo rod builders, and gives good insight into what makes them good. He has a way of getting to the philosophy of rod making, going beyond the technology.
2. "I know Bill Schaadt," by Ben Taylor. Bill may well be the greatest steelhead/salmon fly fisherman of all time. I am not kidding. He was way beyond 'trout bum' status, and was one of the finest distance casters I have ever known. He could cast over 100 feet all day long and know within inches how deep his fly was fishing. According to Russ Chatham, Bill never bought any fishing tackle and used whatever he found or someone gave him. When Jon Tarantino was world casting champion, he hosted Bill at the Golden Gate ponds and, in one cast, Bill came near to breaking a distance record.
Fantastic book!
3. "Split-Cane Rods-Bamboo Treasures," by Rolf Baginski. This is a good overview of many famous bamboo rod makers from a European perspective. The author is a well known builder and has traveled extensively. His treatment of my idol, Doug Merrick, is classic.

wctc1
Master Guide

Re: 3 goog reads

Post by wctc1 »

Appreciate the kind words by Booman2. Those of us who know him he is a "zoomie-zoom" Naval Flight trained Coast Guard aviator who sometimes rockets off planet. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, the aliens reject him so, here he is with us again, and again.

Just to make the record straight, I, Joe Beelart never went to Vietnam. Under very odd circumstances, had orders there cancelled not 1X but 2X. The first time I was called at 10:30 PM in Hawaii and was due on the transport at 2:30 AM. The second time was in the PI when they turned me around. Bizarre when people were doing everything to not go. Oh well, I just wanted to get out of Dodge. But, that's another story. Anyway, OregonBoo could be better, but it was what I could do then. Thank you Booman2.

Return to “Book Talk”