RARE – The most over-used word on the Internet

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

rocklander

RARE – The most over-used word on the Internet

Post by rocklander »

Rare. Just an observation, but is there a word that has been more used and abused? We’ve reached a point where “rare” has been so over-applied and manipulated that the importance of its meaning may be lost.

There are makers whose overall rod output makes them genuinely rare. Then there are the rare lengths or configurations of rods made by more frequently encountered makers. Or there are more common rods that are difficult to find complete and original, making them rare.

Finally, how about the collector with a half-dozen rods from a maker that another collector has never seen? What’s common and what’s rare? Depends on who you are.

This is subjectivity and human nature on full display. I don’t think there is a solution here, but perhaps words like scarce, uncommon, seldom encountered could give “rare” a rest.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: RARE – The most over-used word on the Internet

Post by creakycane »

I’ll agree, if we can curtail the (mis)use of “MINT” and “unique”……….

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

Use of those terms has almost become a warning sign to me.

Immediately, when I see those terms - after perusal of the listing pictures and verbiage I go to their "store".

That, should tell one all you need.

Oh yeah, and failure to respond to questions regarding pictures and additional information. An immediate no sale for me.

Rare: Finding an invoice with a dated and signed hand written note of thanks from one of...E.C. Powell, Glenn Bracket, Tom Dorsey, Paul Young, Eustis Edwards, Wes Jordan etc., along with the rod listed on the invoice in really good shape and all parts present. In the Ozarks selling for $50.

That! Would be rare. ;)
Last edited by ozarkwater on 01/12/23 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

"Vintage" is getting there also.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

There have been far too many listings on the big auction site that have listed rods as both Rare and Mint. I openly admit that I peruse the site and have found a few respectable rods at very fair cost points and there is currently a JC Higgins rod listed as "Near Mint". Very pretty, darkly flamed trade rod.
The male ferrules are as close to virgin as I've seen and the grip is spotless. The entire rod is remarkably clean. I was shocked to see the word "Near" as a thousand others would have posted it as "Rare Mint". The double whammy of over used descriptors.
The standards of what qualifies in either case now is so watered down and subjective that we have to use our own judgment to quantify an item and just shake our heads in disbelief sometimes.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Something is rare if a demand for it has been created but the supply cannot meet it, intentional or not.

I take these terms with grains of salt. Rare, mint, near mint, collectible, collectors item.

It is amazing how much junk is on those sites at ridiculous prices.
Last edited by PYochim on 01/12/23 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

Rare - still red in the middle. :D

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

So you’d say the word is common?

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

ttroutt wrote:
01/12/23 13:38
"Vintage" is getting there also.
"Vintage?" What's wrong with Vintage? My granddaughter says that's what I am. At this point in my life I take it as a compliment.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Rare yes, but I like Mint. As in the rod is Mint, except one tip is down two inches!
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

But never fished.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

To my knowledge (maybe nowlege)

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

jhuskey wrote:
01/12/23 20:09
But never fished.
That’s another one I don’t trust unless it is from the original owner. Questionable even then in some cases.

George Carson
Sport

Post by George Carson »

Rare = Yes, I am an ignoramus and I haven't seen another, even though a google search would yield many examples & variants, but I am too lazy & would prefer not to know (and it helps my cause). So it MUST be rare, right?

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

blackdog wrote:
01/12/23 14:37
Rare - still red in the middle. :D
I prefer medium rare, with more than a grain of salt.

GANGGREEN
Guide

Post by GANGGREEN »

In fairness, my guess is that at least a large percentage of the people who are posting common old fly rods or reels for sale and listing them as "rare" probably really think that they are. Just as surely as many of them truly think that Grandpa's bamboo fly rod is surely worth at least a grand or three (when it's actually not worth what it would cost to ship down the street).

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

It's relative. If you find a bamboo fly rod in eastern South Dakota, it's truly rare, and posting it for sale as such, wouldn't be unreasonable. If you find a bamboo fly rod in upstate NY, it's probably not rare, and shouldn't be posted as such. I guess it depends on where and who you're trying to reach. Millions of people buy commemorative coins, plates etc. on late night TV, thinking they are "rare" or will become rare. Caveat emptor.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

GANGGREEN wrote:
01/15/23 06:32
In fairness, my guess is that at least a large percentage of the people who are posting common old fly rods or reels for sale and listing them as "rare" probably really think that they are. Just as surely as many of them truly think that Grandpa's bamboo fly rod is surely worth at least a grand or three (when it's actually not worth what it would cost to ship down the street).
In the scheme of things they probably are rare. One of the guys at the local fly shop asked me to look at a bamboo rod that a customer brought in. It was found in grandpa’s attic or garage or cabin. I don’t profess to know a lot about these old rods but I know what I am going to see and I will play ignorant in giving an assessment. Or not giving an assessment. I can tell if it is a quality rod or not but that’s about it. Apparently the guy thinks he won the lottery.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

And here's the most under-used word on the Forum--cynical.

Scott Z. ;)
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

It is very rare that I use the word "rare", unless it really is rare or on the verge of being rare... :lol

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”