RARE – The most over-used word on the Internet

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Re: RARE – The most over-used word on the Internet

Post by Cross Creek »

Rare may be so to the seller, and perhaps the buyer, regardless of actual scarcity. “Mint,” OTOH, has real meaning among collectors, largely and widely disregarded and abused by sellers everywhere (except perhaps reputable auction houses and a few trustworthy dealers). At least its misuse by ebay sellers provides humor, unintended as it may be ;)

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

RAZINGKANE wrote:
01/12/23 18:27
ttroutt wrote:
01/12/23 13:38
"Vintage" is getting there also.
"Vintage?" What's wrong with Vintage? My granddaughter says that's what I am. At this point in my life I take it as a compliment.
+ :rollin :rollin

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I have a white BMW 440. It is the only one of its kind in my town of 18,000.

It is RARE.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

many things are rare, some things are valuable, few are both.

I'd like to submit "bespoke" to the over-used and meaningless internet buzz word list

oneculm
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oneculm »

thanks

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Look, 'rare' is a relative term, like it or not.

Here's an example--on another thread we are talking about--among other things--the number of Granger Registered grade rods produced. Because the rods are all serialized, it's verified that close to 400 were made between 1939 and 1952.

To Granger-philes any Registered is indeed a 'rare' rod. They are very few and far between on the secondary rod market and always have been. That said, most other rod makers would be hard-pressed to make 400 of any one model/grade, even over 13 years, IMHO.

But yes, I also agree that the word 'rare' is probably overused, especially on auction sites. However, if one of our knowledgeable Forum members says a particular rod is 'rare', I would tend to believe it.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Yeah, but have you seen those postage rates? Jiminy christmas! Why, I remember when this was all woods!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”