Period Reels for Maxwell Leonard Rods

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Choptanked
Sport

Post by Choptanked »

I was wondering whether anyone knows what kind of reels may have been marketed or typically paired with Leonard rods from the Maxwell era. This would be the 1979-80 timeframe. I'm assuming it will be the usual suspects: Hardy Lightweight series, St. George, and Perfects, along with Orvis CFOs. I recently read a piece by Tom Maxwell on his philosophy of rod design that Marc Aroner has posted on his site. https://www.spinozarods.com/blogs/from- ... 13f8&_ss=r. Many thanks to Mr. Aroner for posting this by the way. A fascinating read and wonderful insight into the mind of an extremely talented designer and rodmaker. Not to mention an all around great human being from what I've read. I was curious if Mr. Maxwell's thoughts on design extended to reel pairings and whether he or Leonard expressed any preferences in that regard given the distinct look of the Maxwell era rods. Any info or thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Period Reels for Maxwell Leonard Rods

Post by cdmoore »

If all else fails, a good S-handle in the vein of EVH, Bogdan, Peerless and Godfrey will usually do the trick. They look good on everything from Wheeler to Winston, Montagne to Maca. Might just wanna skip the rest.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I believe I saw an early 80's Leonard catalog that paired trout models with Hardy Lightweights: Featherweight, LRH & Princess.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

A Lightweight would be easiest. I once owned a reel which had belonged to Tom Maxwell, an Orvis Presentation EXR. He had several of them. For a contemporaneous reel, how about a Walker?

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

FWIW, I have a 1976 Leonard catalog and the 5 & 6 weight rod and reel combinations were with LRHs. 7 weights were with a Princes. This is consistent for both the varnished (standard) rods and well as the Duracanes. I think the 3 and 4 weights were with Featherweights but I don’t remember off the top of my head.

The catalog does also list Hardy Perfects. I don’t believe any other reels were in the catalog other than Hardy Lightweights and Perfects but I dig it out and confirm, if helpful.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think 1976 was before Maxwell joined but this is at least a data point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Choptanked
Sport

Post by Choptanked »

@ cdmoore - The EVH style reels are beautiful and I can see how they would compliment so many rods. I have never owned one but have been keeping an eye out for one. Being in MD, I'm drawn to Ted Godfrey's reels since he is local. The Peerless reels look great too and of course there's Bogdan. With Bogdan, I can't seem to figure out which reel would go with a 7'6" 5wt line. It doesn't look like he produced a 3" reel. The Baby Trout is 2 3/4 and the Trout is 3 1/4. I think that's right but naturally could be mistaken. The Peerless 1 1/2 is 3" and might be the ticket or a Godfrey 275 or 305.

@ Caneghost - Thank you for confirming from the Leonard catalogue. Hardy lightweight series makes sense as the go to in terms of marketing. I would be interested to know whether Leonard released a catalogue under Maxwell. Any idea?

@ Short Tip - The Lightweights always looks good. I have an LRH spooled with DT5 that is one of my go to 5wt reels. Interesting about the Orvis Presentation EXR. I've seen those online but never held one. Argentine, right? Walkers are beautiful. I'd love a LWH TR3. Seems rare.

@ Ear4 - I think you're right that '76 was before Maxwell's time. My understanding is that he was there from 1979 through the end of 1980, although his influence on the rods being produced for a few years thereafter (say, through '82 or '83). I really like the Maxwell look on the Leonards and am impressed he was able to strike a balance between maintaining tradition while establishing his own unique look.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Choptanked wrote:
01/13/23 10:02

@ Short Tip - The Lightweights always looks good. I have an LRH spooled with DT5 that is one of my go to 5wt reels. Interesting about the Orvis Presentation EXR. I've seen those online but never held one. Argentine, right? Walkers are beautiful. I'd love a LWH TR3. Seems rare.

The Lightweights were ubiquitous in this timeframe, lightness was considered very important and Perfects were the province of old men. They were so popular that several Japanese firms made crude knockoffs, cosmetically nearly identical. The STH-made Presentation EXR is also very light, somewhat like a CFO in design with a neat pushbutton spool release. Why Orvis needed two CFOs I'm not sure, and that's probably why they ended it. It wasn't inexpensive new. Walkers are a little rare, especially in LHW!

I don't think there was a catalog during the Maxwell era. There was a catalog during the Larry Foster era, ca. 1981 or so. These rods carried on the Maxwell changes and cosmetics after his departure.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Everyone who I knew or bumped into on the streams of southern NY fished Hardy lightweights or featherweights on their Leonards. Starting in the mid '70s though the '80s when serious trout fisherman fished bamboo

Choptanked
Sport

Post by Choptanked »

The LRH Lightweight fits like a glove and doesn’t look too shabby either. The rod, which I just received, will need some help with a ferrule issue. But, when that is taken care of, should be a great outfit.

RichieT79
Sport

Post by RichieT79 »

I don't think you can go wrong with a LRH. I think it is my most versatile real. I also have a solid spool version which goes well with just about any bamboo rod. One reel I haven't seen mentioned is the Hardy Marquis. I think they are often overlooked and offer the classic look, were produced during the timeframe your looking at, and have a spool I can palm.

lastly, If your going to go the s-handle route then no list is complete without a Saracione.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

How about one of the original "R" Series Ross reels with the tear drop porting? Beautiful, classics from the same era and would look killer on bamboo. Just trying to think out of the box and differently from the usual suspects...

My choice for S handle- Peerless. Same era and decent price.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Can’t go wrong with a LHR indeed. Looks great in combination with multitude of rods from various eras

Return to “Classic Reels”