Cane rod maker ID

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

splitshot

Cane rod maker ID

Post by splitshot »

Hello friends,

I have a 7'9" cane rod with the initials 'BTCR' inked on the shaft. The rod is a 2/1 for a 5 wt. and the numbers 020 are also written on a flat. I don't think the initials are those of the owner although I'm not positive.

Can anyone tell me who this maker may be? Any information as to whom the maker is would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me with replies, thanks.

Kindly,
Tom

barebo
Master Guide

Re: Cane rod maker ID

Post by barebo »

You may tend to believe that the bamboo fly rod community is relatively small and compared overall it certainly is. However... there are several amateur rod builders that have rods in the hands of friends, relatives, and associates that never made the mass market headlines.
As mentioned several times here, the proverbial " picture is worth a thousand words" applies here, I believe.
The knowledge base on this forum (myself not included!) is amazing, and with a few photos of the reel seat, winding check, script, etc. will give you a definite answer, or at least some valid input.
I've learned SO Much here and would like to thank all for sharing their knowledge!

Mark

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”