W Mitchell

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Montanachooser
Sport

W Mitchell

Post by Montanachooser »

I am going out on a limb and am curious about an appraisal on this W Mitchell fly rod. It has never been fished

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: W Mitchell

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Does it have 'spike' male ferrules?

Jay Edwards

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

If you enlarge the pic of it in the case you can see the Male ferrules.
I will see the Rod Tomorrow and take close ups

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Ah ha, no. Thanks for sharing this very cool rod!

Jay Edwards

Tangiersound714
Sport

Post by Tangiersound714 »

Like the rod case.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

close up look at the existing pictures, rod does not appear to have spikes.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Having received two unsolicited and essentially identical PM’s from the poster with the same description and photographs (and I assume I am not the only one), I’ll offer a few comments. Having looked at the photographs, somewhat carefully, I would be unable to conclude the rod is “pristine” and “unfished.’ “Pristine” means an object is in its original condition and clean and fresh as new. I am of the opinion that when this rod left – probably the younger – William Mitchell’s shop before 1918 at least the wraps, unlike the ones shown, would have been complete and the ferrules would have been untarnished. There is no factual basis to conclude the rod is “unfished.” The ferrules are – to my eye – unusual. They are not the spiked, or bayonet delicate ferrules seen on the elder William Mitchell’s rods. They have rounded and slightly serrated tabs that I cannot recall seeing before. Lastly, the rod appears to be lancewood and not the gorgeous snakewood used on many William Mitchell rods and we have no idea if the rod butt has any maker stamping.

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

The Rod was a gift to my wife’s Great Grandfather William Beardsley who was not a fly fisherman. It was acquired by my Father in law when William passed. Jim My father in law is a fly fisherman and had the case made by a rod builder Jim Corbin. Anyway my Father in law assured me the rod has never been fished. There is a William Mitchell stamp on the rod butt. He is going to take a pic of it and bring to dinner tonight. I will post the picture of the Stamp.

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

Just talked to Jim my Father in law. The stamp says “W Mitcell N York PATD Jan 9th 1863.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Well, I am not one to argue with your in-laws about whether it was fished.
But I will tell you that the patent date is January 9, 1883, not 1863, and the patent was #270,460 for the detachable handle.

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

This is current text from Father in law who just took pic. Granted he is 88 and could have misread? I will follow up

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

Yes rechecked….. again he is 88 and thought it said 1863 it is 1883! Thanks

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Unfished or not, is is in extremely nice condition for a rod that old, not really worth mentioning or arguing, onlookers can judge the condition themselves. I'm sure any collector would be highly impressed...

Tangiersound714
Sport

Post by Tangiersound714 »

It has almost certainly been fished in its 120+ year lifespan. But most form members here will not step into a pointless argument only to insult or hurt someone's feelings. At 83 years old your father-in-law is just fine in how he feels about how much the rod has been fished.

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

My father in law is 88 and a straight shooter. He started the Miami Valley Fly Fishers in Dayton Ohio and has shared and taught the sport we love to many. He has no reason to BS about if the rod has ever been fished. If you knew the man you would not question his integrity.

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

Yes the first chapter of TU on the East coast in 1963.The Miami Valley Fly Fishers was started by my Father in law. One of the finest fisherman and teacher I have ever met. I will let this go but Look forward to the day the rod is inspected and verified it has never been fished. No one here is looking to scam the fly fishing world. What we are looking for is a place for the Rod to be cherished and displayed as its history is part of the sport we have dedicated our lives to. Obviously someone out there wants it and obviously he said to me to go ahead and sale it! I suggested museum of Fly Fishing but Jim said it may be better in a private collection and it probably would sale vs having to be donated. I have no idea where you are from “ mister it certainly has been fished in it’s 120 years” But you are welcome to come and see the rod if you are able. It has been in the same tight knit family the entire time.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Once again, Montanachooser, whether it has been fished or not, really is a moot point. The rod is amazing for it's age, period. Not worth arguing over and the statement really has no bearing on the value. And your father in law seems to be a stand up man and mentor.

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

Here are some pics. Let’s start with the reel seat. As we can see there has never been a reel on the rod as the reel seat has not a single scratch

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

Pics

Montanachooser
Sport

Post by Montanachooser »

More pics

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”