How would I authenticate these Del Mazza Flies ?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Lerouxagain
Sport

How would I authenticate these Del Mazza Flies ?

Post by Lerouxagain »

Hi, I bought these flies from Hyman Cohen's collection . On the back of the box it is written at the top Del Mazza . How would I go about getting these authenticated ? Is Mr. Mazza still with us ? Thanks. Dan

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: How would I authenticate these Del Mazza Flies ?

Post by Caneghost »

Del Mazza joined us at the Roundtable we held at CFFCM back in September, sponsored by The Catskill Fly Tyers Guild and a local TU Chapter. You might contact the museum to see if they have contact info they can give out. www.cffcm.com
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Lerouxagain
Sport

Post by Lerouxagain »

Thanks .

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

I have a really nice collection of Del's work framed. His work is perfect and if you want to include some individual pics of each fly I could let you know. The only better tyer of Catskill dries was Frank Kuttner who had a tiny shop going up to Lew Beach.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Please post some of his flies Bob

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Hi I will post the collection as it is totally cool and Del's tying is unreal. Just this week the person I purchased the collection from sent me some of Del's overview of his business and found that fascinating. I had heard about his work for years and his necks and it is now one my favorite items in my collection.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Thanks Bob!
Looking forward to seeing the flies

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Here are some examples of Del's work and the framing I purchased. I had mixed feelings posting this as my photos suck. Thanks Bob

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Your pics are fine, Bob--and the small vitrine the flies are in is very special. Are the flies glued to the support rods? And does the acrylic cap lift off easily (ostensibly so you can also repair the one that fell off?)

The Len Wright-styled caddis is really nice--all of the ties seems extremely well done to me.

Can you add more regarding Del's history--as both a breeder and tier?

Many thanks,
bb

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Thanks Bob. The pictures are fine

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

bearbutt wrote:
01/29/23 14:37
Your pics are fine, Bob--and the small vitrine the flies are in is very special. Are the flies glued to the support rods? And does the acrylic cap lift off easily (ostensibly so you can also repair the one that fell off?)

The Len Wright-styled caddis is really nice--all of the ties seems extremely well done to me.

Can you add more regarding Del's history--as both a breeder and tier?

Many thanks,
bb
Yes the flies are fixed on to sewing needle with the hook point running through the eye of the needle and likely crazy glued on. I have not had time to fix the one fallen fly but it will be easy. The lid is removable and you easily remove the flies for a closer look. In 1993 this went for 500.00 according to his brochure. Never seen a fly framing like this. Really like it. Been tying commercially for years and heard about Del years ago. Always wanted to see his work. I will send pics of his brochure at a later time. Thanks

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Del also made a video, if you can find it. My old friend, Dave Lucca, knew him. Dave's work was also at that level.

PolishSteel
Sport

Post by PolishSteel »

Here is a Royal Coachman wet fly by Del Mazza that I bought from someone on this forum years ago

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Del Mazza sulphur Parachute circa 1990 and buff dun cape. Also the article that changed the way parachutes were tied!
Better Hackle than you can find today
Tom

Imageupload png images

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I love Del's flies. I know one tier (tyer?), Dave Lucca, of Hayward, WI, who is every bit as good as Mr. Mazza.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

The Catskill Fly fishing musuem was selling copies of Del's tying video and it was excellent though the production quality is somewhat weak.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”