Vises

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

carl otto
Master Guide

Vises

Post by carl otto »

I started tying in the late 1960's. I used a Herters replicant Thompson Model A vise. In the 1990's I sprung for a Renzetti, what I think they call their "Traveller" now? Cost about $120 then. This vise has served me well ever since. Over the years I have noted most vises are manufactured at a high level of quality and should last "forever" with normal use (as mine has). What are people's experiences in owning vises.? Do you still have the good upgrade you bought years ago? What need may have caused you to ditch that one and get a newer model?

Just curious,

Carl

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Vises

Post by GerardH »

I have two Renzetti Travelers -- both I bought used from prolific tiers, the first almost 20 years ago and the other 3-4 years ago. I myself only started tying seriously a little over a year ago, but I've tied several hundred flies since and those vises have been flawless. One of the vises I recently swapped out the standard issue jaws with midge jaws, so that will be my dedicated small fly vise.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with my Renzetti and I see no need for an "upgrade"...whatever that might be.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Like you I started fly tying trout flies in the 1960s with an awful vise (either from Herters or Fireside Angler. As a kid that was all I could afford. My bobbin was a clothes pin. Then I upgraded to a Thompson B vise and eventually to a Thompson A vise.

When I first met Eric Peper, he was using a Regal vise which held the hook much better than my Thompson A vise. So, i purchased a Regal vise. About 30 years later I chipped the vise jaws, I sent it back to Regal and they replaced the jaws, good as new. I still have it. Eventually I bought a second Regal vise which turns (not the rotary). My original Regal vise I leave up at the lake. I love them both.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

In the 1980's I bought a used Regal pedestal vise for thirty-five dollars. Still happy with it.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

As a teen I learned to tie on a Herters vise as well. In my 30’s I bought a Thompson A vise. A few years later I bought a Dyna King X-1 vise. It will last several lifetimes.

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

I started on a secondhand Thompson Model A vise that needed a rubber band (from the vise shaft to the handle) to securely hold hooks. I tied on it, like that, for years, and I still have and use it. Eventually I asked for a new vise from my family as a gift. Everyone pitched in for an HMH Spartan. It's somewhat similar in basic functions to my old Thompson. Of course, it holds hooks perfectly without help and the rotation is even smoother. It's not a true rotary vise, but does everything I need and the build quality is superb. That said, my old Thompson, with a little help, worked okay for 50-70 years and is still usable. I'm bringing it to my workplace for lunchtime tying.

To answer the OP questions, when I was ready to buy something firsthand I bought quality, but I didn't buy a vise with true 360 degree rotation because I had no need for it, nor did I have a need for many of the bells and whistles that today's gear can have. What was important to me was supporting an American crafts-person and buying something that will last a lifetime, or longer. I love the HMH and have no desire to get something else. Basically, the HMH purchase was my final buy for that tool.

Best,
Jeremy.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

It’s hard to beat your Renzetti Traveller. I’ve used that vice for 30yrs. For me, the ability to rotate the fly and view it from the fish’s perspective (or all angles) as well as the option to wind various materials without moving my right hand was revolutionary. It’s also an easy vice to take on trips if you have the c-clamp.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Like others, I started with a Thompson model A or a knock off thereof. Came with the tying kit my then girlfriend gave me 45 years ago. Sometime in the last 10 years, I moved up to a Dyna-King Barracuda for $349. I love it and the full rotary function - don't know how I tied salmon flies without that. Today that same exact vise is usually right at 540 bucks (sometimes a tiny bit less, sometimes quite a bit more). Fortunately, that vise will last me the rest of my life and I am perfectly happy and at home with it.
Gary

George Carson
Sport

Post by George Carson »

+1 with Gary - Dyna-King Barracuda is the best vise ever made!

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

My Renzetti Traveller has served me very well for many years. I've had a few others, some good some not so but the Renzetti is the best I've owned.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I started with a Thompson A vise in 1978. I still use it as a backup. Then on to a standard Regal about 1990. Just freak'en awesome. Then I added a Regal rotatory head with the midge jaws. Top shelf. I don't see me adding another vise, ever. I also have a couple of unknown handheld vises. I don't use these much.

P.S. I now remember that I once owned a rotatory vise from Thompson also. The Thompson 360. It was simply awful. Junk. It broke in no time. Discarded.
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 01/25/23 19:11, edited 4 times in total.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Have had a very old Bill Hunter brass based HMH on my desk for over 35 years, but take a Dyna-King traveler on the road. Lots of head cement dripped on the brass that I’ll have to clean off “one of these days”. I have a Spartan and another Dyna King in the closet from departed friends. Hardware that far exceeds my amateur abilities……. I tie 3 or 4 flies at a time—- typically to try the following day. Used to be more regimented about it.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

I started tying with a kit that came with a vice. After I tied for a while I decided to upgrade to a “serious” vice. I looked around and bought a Renzetti Traveler. I used it for a couple of years but found that I was spending a lot of time adjusting it to keep the hook from moving, and I was not using the rotary features. So I picked up a Regal Medallion. Man I love that vice. Squeeze, put the hook in, release. Very stable and easy. I don’t think about the vice at all, which I think is the highest compliment I can pay. I have kept the Renzetti for when my 10 year old son wants to tie a fly or two but if for some reason my Regal were to disappear, I would go out and buy another one without any hesitation.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I've had a rotating Regal and the additional "midge" jaws, for I'm guessing, 30 years. Always worked great. I also have a HMH tube vise which I use for steelhead flies.
And I have a C&F Designs Marco Polo travel vise, which is my "James Bond" vise for tying behind enemy lines ;-)
And I think, with the exception of the Regal, the other vises are going on 25 years old now.

My very first vise was a Thompson Model A, back when all the trout were big ;-)

drifly
Sport

Post by drifly »

Started tying on a Universal close to 50 years ago and tied a lot of flies in that vise till the jaw chipped. Switched to a Dyna-King aristocrat probably 30yrs ago that I’m still using today and tied everything from saltwater to size 30 tricos. I recently picked up a rotary vice from Jan Tvrdek (Czech Republic) that has an unusual jaw/hook lockup that I use to tie all nymphs. Won’t need another.

SgtMajUSMC
Sport

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Started with a terrible pot-metal vise from my Noll kit that was a Christmas present from my Mom and Dad in 1975. Then a crappy Sunrise knockoff of a Thompson A vise. Finally a real Thompson A that I still have and use, although not much. Then an HMH, which I've had for about 25 years. I bought a sweet Xuron new from Capt Larry Kennedy at the Bedford Sportsman South. It's a nice alternative, not needed, but wanted. Also a few other nice vises, Regal, Thompson from older friends that no longer tie.

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

I started in 1979 with a Thompson Ultra vise, similar to the Model A. Moved up (slightly) to an Orvis vise after a couple of years. Eventually got a Renzetti Traveler. Was happy with that, in spite of some quality and customer service issues. When I started tying winged wet flies, I found that the Renzetti and other similar designs were not ideal for that. You need better access to the rear of the fly with your left hand for setting the wings. The true rotary style designs make that awkward. So I went with the more traditional HMH Spartan. It has been my main vise ever since. I can easily swap in a different set of jaws when I want to tie larger saltwater flies. I still have the Renzetti, but it sits in my travel kit.

I’ve always been intrigued by the Regal vises, and have been tempted to pull the trigger on one a couple of times, but it’s just not practical for me. For one thing, the pedestal version is $100 more than the c-clamp version. That’s just too much. Also, I’d have to change jaws to tie on 2/0 saltwater hooks, which is probably both expensive and time consuming. The HMH Spartan really does everything I need.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I started with a Thompson 'B' in 1959. I bought a Thompson Ultra in 1965. It's had some jaw changes. I have a couple Thomas vises as well as a number of other older semi collectible ones. I tie on a Thomas or Thompson.

Edit: I did first try tying on a small 'mechanics vise' that my dad had. I was in the outdoor club in 7th grade in Edwardsville PA in 1957. They were teaching us to tie. It didn't work too well.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 01/24/23 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Started off with some cheapo vice, and moved to a Thompson that I gave to a friend. Got a Dyna-King Professional when I did my first fly tying order for Barry and Cathy Beck (Beckie’s Fishing Creek Outfitters). I was eyeing a Renzetti, but Barry suggested the Dyna-King. I paid it off in flies. It’s been a fantastic vice for over 30 years. I have loved using it. I did wear out several jaws though. Bought a Regal Stainless several years ago and it’s a nice vice too.

CL65
Sport

Post by CL65 »

I started with a Thompson A almost fifty years ago. The jaws broke so I picked up a Renzetti Traveler. I love the Traveler and still occasionally use my Thompson after I replaced the jaws.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”