Best hook for mouse pattern

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Best hook for mouse pattern

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Don't go crazy here...

I am looking for a HOOK recommendation for mouse pattern, that is strong, light weight and has a good hook gap. I am going to tie some for a TU event.

Thanks!

George Carson
Sport

Re: Best hook for mouse pattern

Post by George Carson »

Gamakatsu B10S

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

Or a light wire salt water hook. There are many, many hooks out there.

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

Having fished mouse patterns in Alaska for the last couple years...I have found that I prefer tying them as an articulated pattern with a single trailing hook....since very often rainbows nip at the tail instead of fully committing and engulfing the fly. In this case....any suitable hook can be used as the trailer/stinger but the B10S mentioned above works pretty well in about a #6. The B10S is a good hook for a normal single hook (non-articulated) pattern...just a bit larger...about a #2.

Shown below are three with different bodies (deer, hackle, rabbit):

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Gamakatsu B10S size #2 ordered.

mcflyfish, I plan on tying a mouse pattern similar to your hair version, but not articulated.

Thank guys!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I have converted to carp hooks many years ago. Strong, wide gap and not too long shanks.
A lot cheaper than 'fly hooks'.
Try to look for hooks in the 'bargain bins' at general tackle shops

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”