"Old" New Phoenix Silk Line

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Rick Kruger

"Old" New Phoenix Silk Line

Post by Rick Kruger »

Basically, almost completely uninformed about silk lines. I'm working on a 6ft 2wt rod for a friend. Another friend has a "new in the box" older Phoenix Silk Line, DT 2wt. He's had it for 8-10 years, having received it from a friend who passed. No info on just how old it actually is, but supposed to be "unused". I understand silk lines can last a long time, if properly cared for and if not damaged, can even be restored from a fairly dried out condition.

I'm interested in hearing about this line (Phoenix) and what to think of its age and potential for being used as though it were an actual new line. I've seen photos of it and it does appear to be in quite good shape.

Rick

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: "Old" New Phoenix Silk Line

Post by jhuskey »

The ties around the line are not original imo, and the end of the line has an added leader connector. Likely spooled on a reel, maybe cast and/or fished some, but who knows. Box looks to be in great shape so even just anecdotal, my guess is the line is not “that” old. A 10-20 year old line stored well can be good as “new”. Is the line fairly supple?

jimlucey
Guide

Post by jimlucey »

photos aren't really sufficient for determining the actual quality of the line . once you get it in hand you will be able to tell what shape it's in . " stickiness " is the most common problem with older lines . this condition can be altered and the line renewed . search this forum for a recent thread dealing with old silk lines . i enjoy fishing the silk lines that i have .

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

The corrugated box is fairly new, the older boxes are gray uncorrugated board.

If it was stored in reasonably conditioned environment, it may be ready to go if supple and not too tacky. Good luck!

Rick Kruger

Post by Rick Kruger »

Thanks for the feedback. Agreed, the ties are not original, nor is the leader connector. Prior to my friend getting it from his deceased friend's wife, we know little about it, except that it was unrolled in order for the first 30ft to be weighted and the leader connection put on. No indication that it has been on a reel, cast or fished. Since my friend has had it, it would have been stored properly. He has had it for 8-10 yrs. Asked my friend about suppleness and tacky/stickyness. It is stiff and dry, which seems understandable, being in storage, unused for that long. Not tacky or sticky. He said it will become more supple with use, which also seems reasonable.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Great! Treat with red tin mucilin or otter butter and g/o fishing!

5Stringtrout
Sport

Post by 5Stringtrout »

I bought a "new" Phoenix line last summer and all I did with it was to apply Mucilin to it before I took it fishing.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”