An Early Thomas Rod???

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Dave Dozer
Guide

An Early Thomas Rod???

Post by Dave Dozer »

Hi Everyone,

A gentleman came into my shop yesterday with an old rod that Dave Holloman restored several years ago and was wondering who was the original maker. It's an 8' 0" 3 piece rod. A lot of the components were replaced. It appears that the guides, winding check, possibly some of the ferrules, and possibly the cork grip are original...most everything else is new. To all you experts out there...is this possibly an early Thomas rod from perhaps the 1930's?

Dave Dozer

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Re: An Early Thomas Rod???

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Coloring, winding check, & ferries lead me to believe it was a Winchester trade rod around when HI took over.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Bamboocollector#1 wrote:
01/21/23 12:53
Coloring, winding check, & ferries lead me to believe it was a Winchester trade rod around when HI took over.
+1. It's the winding check and ferrules for me. The reel seat is a replacement. Hard to say when.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

+2 on the Winchester guess!!!

Paul

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”