Winston IM6 8’ 2pc 4wt question

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

wqb
Sport

Winston IM6 8’ 2pc 4wt question

Post by wqb »

I just picked this rod up. It has a down locking reel seat with black hardware and Zebra wood insert. I have seen several for sale as Tom Morgan Favorite. Were all these rod tmf or was that a special model. Also what’s the value of one of these rods? This one is in excellent condition but has owners name scribed from factory.

Walt

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Winston IM6 8’ 2pc 4wt question

Post by Webfly »

Not all IM6 8' 2pc 4wt Winston's were TMF's, but the ones that are, will be labeled on the rod and the tube. Mint TMF's have reached over $1000, but I have seen their values fluctuate, depending on economy and season. The nicer the condition, the more valuable. The first versions that came in a black tube sell for the most.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Tom Morgan favorite (TMF) was/is a specific 2 piece, 8 foot, 4 wgt. Originally an IM6, rolled by Loomis, who was rolling the blanks for Winston at the time. Later, Winston began rolling their own blanks starting with serial number 43,500, if my memory is correct. Later Winston changed the name of the series to “WT” standing for “Winston Traditional”.

The TMF is a light 4 weight designed for delicate, dry fly work. Tom described it as being sort of a 3 1/2 wgt.

Above the grip will be writing that says either IM6 or WT, then 8 ~ 4. Tom Morgan Favorites say “TMF” after “ 8 ~ 4”

Both models are great rods. The “normal” one is a bit more of a generalist, with the TMF a great eod for shorter range, technical fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wqb
Sport

Post by wqb »

Thank you very much. This rod is not a TMF but that’s ok I love the action.

Walt

wqb
Sport

Post by wqb »

The serial number is 21xxx. Green tube.

Walt

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Ear4 wrote:
01/21/23 17:01
Tom Morgan favorite (TMF) was/is a specific 2 piece, 8 foot, 4 wgt. Originally an IM6, rolled by Loomis, who was rolling the blanks for Winston at the time. Later, Winston began rolling their own blanks starting with serial number 43,500, if my memory is correct. Later Winston changed the name of the series to “WT” standing for “Winston Traditional”.

The TMF is a light 4 weight designed for delicate, dry fly work. Tom described it as being sort of a 3 1/2 wgt.

Above the grip will be writing that says either IM6 or WT, then 8 ~ 4. Tom Morgan Favorites say “TMF” after “ 8 ~ 4”

Both models are great rods. The “normal” one is a bit more of a generalist, with the TMF a great eod for shorter range, technical fishing.

Your serial number is correct but i do not think the change from "IM6" to "WT" was due to the fact they started rolling their own blanks. It had something to do with the name. Winston was rolling their blanks for some time before the name change i believe. I picked up an 8'6 3wt IM6 on closeout when they changed the names. Some of those old IM6/WT rods are great.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Sorry not to be clear. Yes, Winston rolled blanks for a while under the IM6 name.

They are pretty cool rods. I went pretty deep down the rabbit hole on collecting IM6s.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Is this becoming a plastic rod website?

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I visited Winston and Glenn showed me the place. I commented on all the buckets of plastic rods. He just waved a hand at them and said, "That's just how we make our living here."

Jay Edwards

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Too bad Winston didn’t make a 3 piece TMR from the start

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Clarks Classic Fly Rod Forum

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum,
events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”