Shoulder surgery

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

jdb2013
Guide

Shoulder surgery

Post by jdb2013 »

I know this is a weird topic but I feel certain that someone must have experienced this surgery and I was wondering about the long term outcome. I had shoulder reconstruction surgery 3 and a half months ago. This consisted of multiple repairs to my rotator cuff and repositioning of a bicep tendon. Of course it was my casting arm. Has anyone had similar surgery and how has it worked out as far as your fishing experience? I've been told to expect a 10 month recovery process.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Shoulder surgery

Post by PYochim »

I’ve not had shoulder surgery but I have provided anesthetic management for numerous shoulder procedures. What I observed was that the outcome was directly related to the patient’s post op rehabilitation. Those who did not do their physical therapy didn’t fare well.

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Yep
Screws in bone. Rope in bicep. All sorts of schtick. Rotator cuff on right arm and a few other little problems in the general area after the hill you'd gone down a dozen times before on cross country skis looked a little icy...but hey, I can make it...not. Bottom line. If you have a good surgeon, and only find the best, and above all, LISTEN TO HIM or HER in all aspects post-surgery, and do not step out of line, you will recover. When I finally got to shed the sling on week six my surgeon looked at me and asked, "Can you move your arm?" I said, "No." He replied, "Good. That means you did everything you were supposed to do." Yes, 10 months is not out of line and the physical therapy you go through is murder, but the result is you will be good as new and never even think about the event in a couple years. Believe me, it's better to have the surgery than to live with the pain. You may miss this season, but at least the next many will be without consequence. The most important thing is to have a good support network. Wife, significant other, etc. If it is your dominant arm especially, certain life aspects are extremely problematic, such as s***, shave, shower, and even cutting your steak. Still, the risk is definitely worth the reward.

John

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I'd believe your orthopedist about your recovery. If you get a response here unless the guy is your age, physical condition and temperament it might not be very useful.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I've had rotator cuff surgery to both shoulders. Currently recovering from the second. As above DO THE REHAB!!! I do about an hour and a half of exercises EVERY DAY!!! It worked for the first one some two years ago and it's working for the second. My physical therapists says I'm about two to three weeks ahead of schedule due to doing the work. Don't cheat on the exercises and go to therapy every week. It will take about 16 - 18 weeks.
Now for the results. From my first surgery I was playing golf and casting a fly rod in five months. Within a year I felt as though I had never had surgery. For the second so far, I can shovel snow and I have cast to trout at about the 10th week.
Hang in there and DO THE WORK!!!

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Hellmtflies wrote:
01/22/23 16:44
I've had rotator cuff surgery to both shoulders. Currently recovering from the second. As above DO THE REHAB!!! I do about an hour and a half of exercises EVERY DAY!!! It worked for the first one some two years ago and it's working for the second. My physical therapists says I'm about two to three weeks ahead of schedule due to doing the work. Don't cheat on the exercises and go to therapy every week. It will take about 16 - 18 weeks.
Now for the results. From my first surgery I was playing golf and casting a fly rod in five months. Within a year I felt as though I had never had surgery. For the second so far, I can shovel snow and I have cast to trout at about the 10th week.
Hang in there and DO THE WORK!!!
Definately! When you go home after therapy, set yourself up a situation that mimics what they did to you in the office. And as Hellmtflies said, do it every day and don't cheat. It is a process, but as he pointed out, you will get back to life as normal.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Scary stuff - to be avoided like the plague.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

In the last three years the amount of misinformation circulating about medical procedures has increased dramatically.

What it comes down to is follow the advice of your surgeon, anesthesiologist and physical therapist.

jdb2013
Guide

Post by jdb2013 »

Thanks everyone. I'm doing a half hour of exercises twice a day at home. Also PT twice a week at their offices. At 17 weeks I still can't shave with my right arm. I was getting worried, but it sounds like that is not that unusual. Last year I could only fish for 15 to 20 minutes at a time before I had to take a break. I knew I had to do something. The exercises are killers and I have to ice my shoulder for 30 or 40 minutes after each session. Again that seems to be in line with other's experiences. As usual you folks are awesome.

Thanks,
Jim

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Rotator cuff 95% cut through, and according to my surgeon, likely due to all that casting for atlantic salmon. Couldn't cast if my life depended on it. Had surgery. VERY conservative surgeon made me wait 8 weeks to start PT. Arm practically locked in position at that point. Painful, long PT. End result? I have full and unimpeded use of my arm again, and have had it so for more than 10 years now. All I fish for is Atlantic salmon, so, just to be on the safe side, switched from big one-handers to two-handers, and have never looked back. As others have said, listen to your good, experienced surgeon and then do what your PT''s tell you to do, and you should be fine....yes, likely 10 months later.
Gary

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

jdb2013 wrote:
01/22/23 11:49
Has anyone had similar surgery and how has it worked out as far as your fishing experience? I've been told to expect a 10 month recovery process.
I had similar surgery the year before last. Like you, I couldn't shave with my right hand for months, bu I had full range of motion after seven months of PT. I could cast side armed, though, after about three, and fortunately could already cast with either hand, so I didn't have too much down time.

The PT is painful, but it works. Stick with it.

Livingstone
Master Guide

Post by Livingstone »

Hi, does a plate and 7 screws holding my shoulder together count? The best advice is about rehab, sports physio worked for me, and I went to a certified casting instructor for help. My casting stroke got changed slightly but 12 yrs. later still at it, keep the faith!!! Livingstone.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

I can only reinforce what several others have said. I have torn ligaments in both of my shoulders discovered a few years ago with an MRI after I took a high speed fall skiing a cross-county skating marathon breaking my scapula and six ribs. I was told the torn ligaments occurred many years earlier and were not further damaged in my fall. I do a lot of strength and flexibility work. But I added the shoulder rehab exercises I learned in PT following the above injury to my weekly training. I’m 61 and those exercises allow me to fish an old 14’ cane spey all day for a week straight. I also like fishing 9-10’ single-hand cane rods for trout and I still ski nordic marathons. I’m convinced my shoulder and core strength from cross-country skiing and my continued PT shoulder exercises allow me to fish pain free. I would recommend continuing your PT exercises for the rest of your life (if your therapist and doctor agree) if you can manage it. Strength and flexibility help us prevent injury, maintain our independence and continue doing the active things we love later in life. Just one person’s experience and view for what it’s worth. Good luck with your recovery and stay positive, you can do it!

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Sounds like a great time to take up trout spey.
A really fun way to reduce the stress on your shoulder.

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

As a result of an accident, my humerus and rotator cuff was damaged. A stainless steel plate and 13 screws held my upper arm together and further surgery repaired the rotator cuff. I never thought I would cast again. After months of intensive PT with a therapist who fully understood my wanting to become able to fly fish and a series of specific excercises at the gym I go to working on getting back range of motion. My casting isn't pretty, the motion is what gives me the least pain and I don't give a damn what it looks like, I'm fishing.
I can offer after 16 months of rehab, do everything the Doc and therapist says to do. Some days I wanted to give up but my wife would just asked me, "do you really want to miss the SalmonFly hatch on the Big Hole again"?

retro-1
Guide

Post by retro-1 »

Out patient surgery 10 years ago for torn rotator & detached bicep. Great surgeon, only needed one Advil
after. Rehab is the bitch. That shoulder now has better range of motion than the ( good ) one. My PT
took about 2 months to complete. Then back on the horse. Age 57 at the time.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Your entries offer hope. I have a winging shoulder, scapular dykenesis. Blade rubs on ribs with loud cracks, etc. It sometimes tightens to where I can't breathe. I had surgery for it in the 90s, but it was not successful. I even went to Mayo Clinic, and they told me to live with it, that no surgery would be any good. I can't begin to tell you of the misery and pain this thing brings. But I hear there're new innovations in shoulder surgery that may make a difference. I'm going to look around.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

billems wrote:
02/06/23 13:24
I even went to Mayo Clinic, and they told me to live with it, that no surgery would be any good.
I wouldn’t give Mayo Clinic the final say in getting the treatment you need and deserve.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

PYochim wrote:
02/07/23 20:14
billems wrote:
02/06/23 13:24
I even went to Mayo Clinic, and they told me to live with it, that no surgery would be any good.
I wouldn’t give Mayo Clinic the final say in getting the treatment you need and deserve.
Greatly appreciated.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

For 27 years, my right clavicle was literally "floating" unattached due to an AC separation from a motorcycle crash. I developed a jellybean sized calcium deposit in the shoulder socket and one day at work I reached overhead and it shattered. It shredded and really mucked the joint up and I nearly passed out from the pain. My surgeon had an assistant hold my arm out of the socket and he scraped and cleaned and stitched from what I gathered and literally wired my clavicle back in place. They actually gave me printed photos and the pink and white was cool to see for me not having a clue what I was seeing! I had to sleep in the recliner for almost 3 weeks. For me personally, it was honestly painful. My 5" scar is very visible.
The PT and recovery were tough. Scar tissue forms quickly and range of motion is greatly affected if you don't work through the pain. One thing that was a result for me is the inability to throw a baseball or any similar object like I once could. I could wing a ball close to 90 yards and that's no B.S.
35 or 40 is tops now.
Best of luck to you.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”