Catskill gathering 2023 September 8th, 9th and 10th

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Catskill gathering 2023 September 8th, 9th and 10th

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Look for further announcements shortly, but I did want to get the information on this year's Demarest Challenge out to those who want to participate.

The Demarest challenge this year will be a bit different than it has been in the past. We are specifying that the rod be designed to cast a bass bug accurately, and we are specifying the rod be designed by weight, not by length. We do understand that designing a rod to a specific weight is a bit of a challenge, so we will not be disqualifying those that come in overweight, but there will be a scoring penalty. Conversely, those that come in under the specified weight will receive bonus scoring points.
The competition will be cast according to the rules of the ACA bass bug accuracy event: http://americancastingassoc.org/rules-r ... s-2020.pdf
The line used will be the Scientific Angler Air Cel bass line:
https://www.scientificanglers.com/product/aircel-bass/
The leader used will be supplied by us, and will be constructed according to Steve Rayjeff’s formula, 30” .028, 18” .024, 9” .021, 6” .018, 15-18”.014, either Sufix Elite or Maxima Green mono. The bug used will be something we developed for the competition,A photo of the prototype is posted at the end of this message.
The body is 3/8” foam, and the head is 1/2” diameter.
Having explained all of that, Here are the rules. The target weight for the rod is 4 1/2 to 5 ounces. Rods coming in at that weight will be scored according to the ACA rules. Rods coming in under that weight will receive a 5 point bonus. Rods coming in between 5 to 6 ounces will receive a 5 point deduction, over 6 ounces will receive a 10 point deduction. According to the ACA rules, the furthest target is set at 65 to 70 feet. There will be two casters. A bonus of 5 points will be awarded for each caster that hits the furthest target, maximum of 10 points.
I have cast the line, leader and bug on both a bamboo 8 weight, and a graphite 8 weight, and find the combination is effective. The line is not expensive, and as in the past you can either purchase one and have your own reel used in the competition, or you can have the rod cast with a reel and line that we will supply. We will not be coordinating line purchases this year, so check with a Scientific Angler's dealer. I did check, and no supply issues are expected on the line.
I recognize that this event is different than what we have done in the past, so feel free to ask questions here if something is not clear.

Franknrod
Guide

Re: Catskill gathering 2023 September 8th, 9th and 10th

Post by Franknrod »

Game on! :-) What is the length of the hook shank on the bass fly to be used in the contest?
Frank Payne

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Hi Frank - The length of the straight part of the hook shank is 1 3/8" . The foam body is 3/8" diameter X 3/4" long, the hackle ruff is 1/4" long. I used 3 large hackles from an old Indian rooster neck. Nothing fancy, but I will keep them as uniform as I can.

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

Sound great Tom -- looking forward to another great event!

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

Tom Smithwick wrote:
01/22/23 15:16
According to the ACA rules, the furthest target is set at 65 to 70 feet. There will be two casters. A bonus of 5 points will be awarded for each caster that hits the furthest target, maximum of 10 points.
Hi Tom,

Question: I've never been in one of these events so I am probably wrong, but the way I read the ACA Bass Bug Accuracy Rules is that there are 6 targets and you start with 100 points. You take 2 casts at each target for a total of 12 casts. (In our case each of the two casters will take 1 cast -- I assume) If you hit the target you get no point deduction (demerit). So if you hit every target with every cast you get 100 points for your score. Are you saying that an additional 5 points per cast (total 10 points) will be awarded for hitting the distant target making the max casting score 110 points? Plus any bonus points (5 possible) you may get for entering a rod under 4 1/5 oz. So 115 is the maximum score possible? (I'm also assuming there will be just one round not two as the rules specify.)

Thanks,

Ron

Ptownsend

Post by Ptownsend »

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2023-catsk ... =ebdssbeac

Registration opening soon!!!
Hope to see you there.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Todd Alving will be at this show!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Great to hear that Todd will be with us! I always enjoy visiting with him. We are going to have dozens of rods to cast and will also be building a rod to auction off. looking forward to seeing everyone!

Cane Splitter
Sport

Catskill Gathering 2023 Update

Post by Cane Splitter »

Hello Everyone

It’s official we are less than a month away from another amazing gathering with great people, food and events. If you haven’t registered yet, the deadline for guaranteeing a T-Shirt is coming right up. THERE ARE ONLY 6 DAYS LEFT TO SECURE A T-SHIRT FOR THE YEARS EVENT. ORDER WILL BE PLACED AUGUST 16TH!

A reminder that registration is key to allow organizers time to plan the event, order materials and FOOD for the menus. We appreciate you all attending and taking the time now to secure a spot as we move forward to finalize details needed to have a great event. We are looking for volunteers to help with Friday afternoon set up and organization along with food serves. Keep in mind we work hard to keep the gathering running smoothly and extra hands certainly help to do so and we appreciate all that you do each year.

Lastly, this year we will be holding bucket raffles through Friday and Saturday to be drawn after Saturday’s BBQ with Dave Fitch. We current have 30+ raffles available including Bellinger items, McFarland rod tubes, J. Shaner - Hardy Poster, Sweetgrass donations, maple syrup, bottles of bourbon, Mark Usyk - Wood carving, Ray Lee Hardware and a PHY Midge blank with handle, reel seat and guides to be built at the gathering demonstration to name a few. Every registration qualifies each person for a chance to win a bucket prize, tickets are given with each entry and more available throughout the weekend. Each registration includes a $25 donation and every additional bucket raffle ticket sold goes back to the museum in place of the gathering's silent auction.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2023-catsk ... tdtcreator.

Any questions please let us know

Cane Splitter
Sport

Re: Catskill Gathering 2023 Update

Post by Cane Splitter »

Here is current list of attendees who have registered as of 8/10/23.
If I missed anyone please let me know.

Art LeClair
Barry Mayer
Bob Cross
Bob Hallowell
Bob Nunn
Brandon Fitch
Brian Greer
Charles Menninger
Chris Andrus
Chris Bogart
Chuck Coronato
Dan Di Stefano
Dana Fish
David Bollinger
David Fitch
David Margolis
Dennis Haftel x2
Dennis Menscer
Don Burns
Edward Walsh
Erin Phelan x2
Frank Payne
Fung Chin
Gary Young
George Carcao
George Wilkinson
Gerry McVicker
James Bond
Jason Skillin
Jed Dempsey x2
Jerry Girard
Jim Maselli
John Bonasera
John Flynn
John Letsche
John Marci
Johns Apgar
Jonathan Fitch
Justin Johnson
Kyle Letsche
Leo Lavallee
Luc Tittley
Mike Canazon
Mike Canonico
Mike Day
Mike Morris
Munsey Wheby
Nancy Parri
Phil Townsend
Richard Green
Rob Smith
Ron Scott
Ross White
Scott Bearden
Skip King
Steve Monroe x2
Steven Altshulter
Stuart Gander
Tim Abbott
Tim Wilhelm
Tom Mason
Tom McDonnell
Tom Smithwick x2
Last edited by Cane Splitter on 08/11/23 07:10, edited 2 times in total.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Catskill Gathering 2023 Update

Post by munsey w »

Really looking forward to seeing everyone!

Ptownsend

Post by Ptownsend »

Catskill Rodmakers Gathering 2023
(Schedule subject to change)
Friday September 8th:
1PM - Registration in the Wulff Gallery
● Bring your Demerest Challenge Rod to be registered for the casting competition
Saturday. (Early birds may drop off their rods beforehand due to the large number of
entries this year the casters may start casting Friday afternoon).
● Casting Competition to start Friday Night
● Door Prize tickets
2PM-5PM - Rod build Demonstration
● Culm selection
● Splitting
● Node Prep
● Staggering (3x3, 2x2x2,etc)
530PM - Potluck BBQ on the lawn of the Rod Shop.
● Hosted by Dave Fitch and members who will be grilling hamburgers and hot dogs with a
side of this and that. If you have something you would like to bring to share there is
plenty of space and everything is welcome so bring your favorite salad, casserole and/or
chips if that's what you like.
● “The Maine Boys beer truck will also be onsite (Pale Ale, Maple Porter, Stout)
Saturday September 9th:
8:00AM - 9:00AM - Breakfast will served in the Rod Shop (Early morning registration
opportunities will be available in the Wullf Gallery for those who missed the sign in Friday Night)
9:15AM - Catskill Gathering Greeting and announcements @ Wullf Gallery
10:00AM - 12:00PM - Demonstration→ This is a hand on presentation @ Pavilion Field
● Setting forms and Measuring tools
● Roughing strips and finishing strips
● Glues and applications
● Binding
10:00AM-11:00PM - Jim Downes - The history and heritage of building fine bamboo rods with
philosophies and techniques from Walt Carpenter and George Mauer. Jim will share his story
from right out of his shop in Coburn, PA where he teaches and builds bamboo rods in traditional
style. @ WULLF GALLERY
Saturday Continued…
11:00AM- 12:00PM - John Shanner - Discussing history of Hardy Rods and Reels and the
heritage of Fly fishing in the Catskills @ Wulff Gallery
12:00PM - 1:00PM - Lunch @ Rod Shop
1:30PM - 2:00PM - Group Photo @ Pavilion Field
2:00PM - 3:00PM - Tying Catskills flies with Tom Mason @ Fly Fishing Museum
2:00PM - 3:00PM - Art Leclair Ferrule and Reel Seat Cutting Demo @ Rod Shop
3:00PM - 4:00PM - James Bond Ferrule Fit and Finish Demo @ Rod Shop
4:00PM - 5:00PM- Rob Smith/Pentalux - Discussion of Crompton new findings and discoveries
and philosophies of building 5 strip rods. @ Wulff Gallery
5:30PM - Cut off from the Door/Raffle tickets (Make sure to write your full name on all of your
tickets)
6:00 - ???PM - Dave Fitch Famous BBQ smoked meats for supper @ Wulff Gallery
7:00 - ???PM - Demarest Rod Challenge Winner Announcement along with Door Prizes/Raffle
drawing will be occur after supper @ Wulff Gallery
Sunday September 10th:
8AM - 9AM - Breakfast @ Rod shop
930AM-1030 - John Shanner - Hardy Reels review and cleaning techniques @ Wulff Gallery
1030AM - 11:00AM - Video Presentation of the Hal Bacon Beveller produced by Art Leclair and
Chris Bogart @ Wullf Gallery
12PM - Lunch served at the Rod shop
Safe travels home everyone, see you in 2024!!!

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”