An 1886 postcard from Thomas H. Chubb

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: An 1886 postcard from Thomas H. Chubb

Post by quashnet »

I studied calligraphy as an undergraduate at Rhode Island School of Design, and am still quite good at it. I sign my paintings in capital letters that are sufficiently precise that people sometimes think I used an ink stamp.

Paul H. Young's cursive handwriting was a beautiful, running script, quite different in character from the "spiky" inkwork on his rods. For several years, I thought that those very different styles of writing were generated by two different people in the PHY shop.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

You may be right regarding someone else signing the rods particularly if as you state, he had beautiful cursive. I am sure his printing would have been similar.

I will now date myself because I learned cursive from the Nun's who taught us using the Palmer Method.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

bobk wrote:
01/24/23 15:28
You may be right regarding someone else signing the rods particularly if as you state, he had beautiful cursive. I am sure his printing would have been similar.
I am 100% certain that Young's printed rod inking and his cursive letter writing were both done by Paul Young. FWIW, I think Young's inked lettering on the rods is beautiful in its way (somewhat like Japanese calligraphy), although no one is obligated to agree with me.

I did not have to run the gauntlet with nuns, but in my very small school nearly sixty years ago, my mother was the English teacher. I therefore learned good grammar, spelling, and cursive handwriting in self-defense.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”