Need travel advice

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Srock
Sport

Need travel advice

Post by Srock »

I am flying from St Louis to Bangor Maine in May to fish Grand Lake Stream. I have not traveled by plane with fly rods for a long time, ie.m 25 years. I am trying to consoiidate gear. Do you think American airlines would allow my modified brief case to go as one personal item? I have never had a problem just bringing the brief case. I also plan to bring the rest of my gear in a small travel carryon suitcase. Will they give me grief? I can store the brief case and rod under my seat. TIA, Jerry

Srock
Sport

Re: Need travel advice

Post by Srock »

Rod case is 32*, briefcaase is about 18 x 7

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I can’t give you advice but do expect grief.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I see no problem with it and have traveled exactly like that many times. As long as that is it and you don't bring anything else onboard. Heck, that's way better than some of the full sized looking suitcases that some people try to shove in the overheads...

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Checking your rod as luggage is probably out of the question, especially since it's in a nice leather case. Carrying it on the plane is a 50/50 chance. However, the rod being in a nice leather case may actually work to your advantage if you talk nicely to the airline.

If it were me, quite frankly, I'd FedEx the rod to your destination. Any of your gear that could be construed as a weapon should go in the package too, Scissors, needles, blades of any kind, forceps, wading staff, heck even nippers, Tie-Rite tool and boxes of flies.

It's been a long time since I've flown with fly fishing gear also so I'll let those who travel frequently weigh-in.

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

I fly with a day pack for a carry-on and my personal item is a 3" diameter 34" long cardboard shipping tube which holds 4 rods in their socks. I glued a carrying strap onto it. I've flown this way at least 20 times in the last dozen years. However, some of the budget airlines are extremely strict about carry-ons and although I'd bet they'd allow you on, they will charge for extra and/or oversize items. The tube will lay in the back corner of the overhead bin and takes up hardly any space allowing other carry-ons to be placed in front of them.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

I'm with DrLogik on this one...send your well-insured goodies via shipper of your choice to your ultimate destination. Saves SO many hassles. I used to travel often with just a checked-bag duffle with cloths and gear in it and my carry on briefcase. Never had a problem. But that was, oh, twenty years ago. My, how the world (and its impact on travelling fishing) has changed.
Gary

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

I have done a bunch of flights using the cloth covered pvc tubes strapped to a backpack as my carry on. I have used this as long as 3 piece 8 1/2 foot rods and not had any issues. I keep them together until I am on the plane. Then I loosen the straps, and put the rod tube in an overhead compartment, and the backpack under the seat in front of me. One or two tubes fit well above other luggage in the overhead compartments on most planes. And on small planes, the overhead compartment is so small that I find no one uses them so the rod tubes are the only thing up there.

I am not sure they are still in business but “Clear Creak” made the tubes I use. You may be able to find them online. After find a metal rod tube on a trail in Rocky Mountain NP, I have never traveled with a tube that does not have some kind of handle to pass a strap through. But the ones I use are great for planes, as well as hikes in, and for protecting a nice tube from wear while traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

Thanks everyone Still pondering what to do. Good news I have enough time to think it through. Many good ideas and suggestions.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

You can call the airline/carrier and ask them or go to their web site, typically there will be a section on what you can bring on a plane. Most all planes have a small tall closet that one can store something of value in IF you get to agree to it beforehand. I have seen these use for Brides dresses, artwork, etc.

Contact the carrier.

Carl

kenwey4534
Guide

Post by kenwey4534 »

It depends on the attendant. Being nice will go a long way. I once forgot a fly reel in carry on and I was flagged. The attendant told me that it wasn't allowed because the line could be used as a garret. I thought to myself so could my shoelaces. But I said nothing because I wanted to keep my shoelaces. Make sure your carry-on is clean. BGR is pretty good about fly fishing stuff. BTW Grand lake stream is a fav of mine.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I wouldn't expect to have problems. I fly with fishing tackle in my carry on frequently, with a 3piece 9' rod in a tube.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I think you should be fine. In recent years I have been fling with a boat bag for my reels and other tackle and 40 inch travel tube for rods, the REC Delta 3. I put the boat under the seat and the tube overhead or sometimes I have asked to put it in the coat closet by the flight attendant. Never any issues.

I have shipped rods but it’s a pain and not without its own risks. I used to be more sensitive about it, and then I kept seeing people in the airports with rods, some even 56 inch tubes. I felt somewhat like an idiot. I will have to admit that I did carry on a 56 inch and a 60 inch tube taped together. I did not have any problems as the planes were large with the interconnected carry on compartments. One leg was a smaller plane and the attendant put it the coat closet.

I would also never check the rods up front as the insurance reimbursements are pretty low.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Agree with Dan, I wouldn't take ANY chances with bringing a rod on to the plane. Nice flight attendant or not.
I only bring along three or four piece rods that are safely in my luggage.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Once again, it is 100% fine to carry on that rod. I travel with a Fishpond rod carrier that is longer and wider with ZERO problems. And I fly out of St. Louis as well, not that it matters.

I re-read your original post and realized that you were asking about bringing that combo on as well as another bag. That may be pushing it as far as 3 items vs 2. I think that I would try, the worst thing would be that you would have to check in your other bag at the gate, which is not a problem at all.

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

Well, I think for now I have decided what to do. On checking stats on air line lost baggage, the one I am flying on has the highest lost baggage rate. Not good for checking baggage. I also agree that trying to carry on the rod case, brief case with a small suitcase may not work. I was able to get all my fly fishing gear and very minimal clothes in my back pack carry on bag that also has wheels. I have used it many times and have never had a problem with it. This only leaves the rod case, hence just 2 carry on items. I test packed everything and it seems to work. I plan to wear my wading jacket minus tools and fly boxes on the plane. This way when I get to my destination I will have everything I need. I hope. I can purchase specialized flies where I am going. Thanks again for the great advice.

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

Hi, I assume your planning to take the Air Line Stage road (rt 9 this road has a long history) but instead of taking it all the way to Princeton and If you want a woods adventure and abetter chance of seeing Moose. Take the CCC north off 9, this road goes up the west side of the Machias River and ends at the Stud Mill Road go right and cross the Machias after the Bridge go left on the 43-00-0 or Little River Road. That goes to the GLS Bridge and Pine Tree Store. If you like that you can return to Bangor on the Stud Mill Rd gravel all the way to Costigan (just north of Old Town.
If you want more info message me your email address

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Hello,

I would not be concerned with the airline, but with TSA / Security. I have travelled dozens of times with rods. I do have four bamboo rods in 4/2 configurations. They all fit in a Patagonia bag. There is another thread where I posted a link. Before this bag I just carried the tubes. I never had a problem in any airport (USA, Canada, and Europe). I think it helps that I don’t carry anything else fishing related. All reels, gear, flies go on a checked in bag. My guess is that TSA would search carry on bags full of fishing gear and bring attention to the rod and bag size. This is just my opinion, but the less unfamiliar stuff you put though the security checkpoint, the better.

Tight Lines!

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Never had trouble taking 3 and 4 piece rods as a carry on for flights until I travelled from Santiago Chile to Balmaceda Chile. They would not allow me to carry them on and I had to pull a firedrill to return to bag check and back through security prior to my flight.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Be prepared for black flies.

I can't recall a trip since 9/11 where an airline permitted a rod case as carry on for an international return. On a recent return trip from Mazatlan Mexico there were numerous largemouth bass fishers checking in rod vaults. Their size would also handle multiple bamboo fly rods. The interesting thing about that flight was customs going into Mazatlan where their security questioned what my 10 wt 4 piece graphite and reels were used for. Apparently the building blocks of some dubious device.

One thing when traveling domestically is all airplanes are nor created equally. If some leg of your journey requires the use of a small puddle jumper the airline might require you to stow below for that leg of the trip.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”