F.E Thomas special 8ft 3pc 2tip

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

caderx

Post by caderx »

Looking for a ballpark appraisal.
Any info greatly appreciated :D

Last edited by caderx on 01/23/23 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: F.E Thomas special 8ft 3pc 2tip

Post by Woodlakejag »

Nice looking rod. Does it have any markings on the bottom of the butt section? If it does, it can be dated by that marking.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

caderx

Post by caderx »

Woodlakejag wrote:
01/23/23 13:50
Nice looking rod. Does it have any markings on the bottom of the butt section? If it does, it can be dated by that marking.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

The current theory is that a “7” means it was made in 1917. I think the slide band on this rod supports that date, but I would expect intermediate wraps as well. So it was possibly refinished.
Assuming no other issues and all sections are full length I would ballpark this in the 1100 range. Maybe more.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

caderx

Post by caderx »

Woodlakejag wrote:
01/23/23 15:16
The current theory is that a “7” means it was made in 1917. I think the slide band on this rod supports that date, but I would expect intermediate wraps as well. So it was possibly refinished.
Assuming no other issues and all sections are full length I would ballpark this in the 1100 range. Maybe more.
Thank you!!!

ReelPatina
Guide

Post by ReelPatina »

You say 8’ 3/2, but I am not seeing a second tip and I would think she was refinished if a Special by the way of the missing signature wraps and perhaps intermediates if that early of a rod. I would hold her in lower monitory value if those assumptions hold true.

caderx

Post by caderx »

ReelPatina wrote:
01/23/23 16:22
You say 8’ 3/2, but I am not seeing a second tip and I would think she was refinished if a Special by the way of the missing signature wraps and perhaps intermediates if that early of a rod. I would hold her in lower monitory value if those assumptions hold true.
Whoops... (updated pics)

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Rod was definitely redone with new guides. It'll fish nicely, but it would take considerable expense to restore it correctly.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Specials of that time period commonly were wrapped in color combinations like red with black,or red with goldenrod. The lower-priced Dirigo was typically done in a monochromatic color scheme, usually red like this rod. I'll stop there, but this is a good example of a refinished rod versus one that's been restored. The little details are what bring higher prices. I'm not on top of the used Thomas market these days and I'll leave the dollar figures to others who are.

caderx

Post by caderx »

jeffkn1 wrote:
01/24/23 18:57
Specials of that time period commonly were wrapped in color combinations like red with black,or red with goldenrod. The lower-priced Dirigo was typically done in a monochromatic color scheme, usually red like this rod. I'll stop there, but this is a good example of a refinished rod versus one that's been restored. The little details are what bring higher prices. I'm not on top of the used Thomas market these days and I'll leave the dollar figures to others who are.
Thank you!!!

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

Very nice rewrapped rod. If the ferrules are snug and the cane is good someone might give you 300 for it. It need everything to make it shine.

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

It’s worth more then $300
If restored correctly 1,000 or more
If not 900.00 or so
If original $1300
My two cents
Highly undervalued rods
Dave

caderx

Post by caderx »

fishbates wrote:
01/29/23 20:54
If not 900.00 or so
If original $1300
My two cents
Highly undervalued rods
Dave
Was purchased in 99 for $389 :D

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Steve Campbell at Thomas Rod Co. can check the old records and verify the date, etc. From the photo, the mark is "square 7" as the punched mark and its shape is important as well as the number. He was able to let me know that my 8 1/2' Thomas "Square 548" was the 548th rod made in 1939 and other particulars.

I would agree it has certainly been rewrapped with American style guides. That does bring down value to collectors, but if everything is solid and ferrule fit is good, you have a very nice fishable classic there!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

fishbates wrote:
01/29/23 20:54
If not 900.00 or so
If original $1300
My two cents
Highly undervalued rods
Dave
I agree mostly. And I am a big FE fan. That rod needs a complete restoration IMO. including guides. That could be a 500$ job. Tag for the bag? Tube? I could be way off or off by a couple hundred dollars, it's been a while since I've had someone with provenance with a rod company do a restoration for me. Yes undervalued rods and that 8'er is a great rod but should be better. I'd love to have as a project.

sunjpg
Guide

Post by sunjpg »

Caderx,

The green bag appears to be original and period correct to me. I have a several FET rods from the 1930s, and I consider that decade to have been the high point in the company's rod building history. That bag color and that fabric type was definitely used by the Thomas shop in the 1920s and 30s, and that style bag did not have the fold-over flap that was becoming standard for FET Special rods around that time.

Does the rod still have the original aluminum tube with the brass end caps or the nickel-plated end caps? As Jeff K said, the details matter. When the original aluminum tube is missing, I wonder about the rod's history.

For value (price), I personally look at rods like this:

1. excellent to very fine original condition: highest value, very collectible
2. very good original condition showing only honorable use w/no issues: very good value, collectible
3. restored condition 100% faithful to original w/no issues: good value, good fishing rod, not as collectible
4. original condition, or restored, but with issues: might be a good fishing rod, lower value, not collectible
5. refinished condition with non-faithful refinish: might be a good fishing rod, lower value, not collectible

Your rod definitely has original FET Special hardware components such as: 1.) the stamped butt cap and the knurled ring, 2.) the winding check, and 3.) the FET Special grade ferrules. I believe the green bag is original, and if you have the original aluminum tube with FET style caps, you have two more original components. The guides, tip tops and wraps are replacements, and incorrect for an FET rod.

So now it's about the tips: do you know if the tips are original or replacements from the refinish job? A knowledgeable FET collector or restorer can tell as FET rods will have a random node pattern. If a tip has a 3x3 node pattern, its likely a replacement tip so the rod could have full length tips.

In my opinion, and that is only what you're getting here, if both tips are full length original tips, this rod is a good candidate for a faithful restoration to an "as-original" FET issued rod. Reverse twist English guides are getting hard to find so you will want to ask the restorer if they have them.

With FET original full-length tips, maybe $600 as is. With an excellent and faithful restoration, maybe $1,100, in my opinion.

Jay

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Agree the bag looks correct !

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Here is a near mint
OA4 stamped brown tone
Bag later color used
Thank goodness the appraise stated it was restored
But it clearly is not
I stole this rod;))
D

sunjpg
Guide

Post by sunjpg »

Dave,

With apologies for hijacking this thread, I can tell you, “…the rest of the story” as Paul Harvey used to say, or at least some of it about your rod.

I purchased that 8’ 3/2 FET Brown Tone O-48 in 1988 from the family of the original owner who had a matched pair of FET Brown Tones made in 1954. The other rod was a 9’ 3/2 Brown Tone, O-50.

The original owner never fished either rod as he had several well used Paynes. I never fished nor cast either rod as they were 99.9% “as new” as though they had just left the Thomas shop.

I regretted having to put these two rods in Lang’s Auction in the early 90s. When I showed them to Bob in his Sebago Lake home, he said he rarely saw FET rods in this “as-new” condition as FET owners fished their rods.

O-48 sold for $1,650 at the auction. Fred Grafeld inspected the rod before the auction (back when you could do that) and he purchased it for a client who instructed him to buy if it was truly “as-new” which it was. That was about 30 years ago. I’ve often wondered where this rod has been since then.

Jay

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”