A P Lodge name or model

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

SouthBrZar

A P Lodge name or model

Post by SouthBrZar »

I have a rod that defiantly needs work, but the shape of the cork and the flared bamboo taper at the but end interest me. The only identification is "A P Lodge" painted at the but end. I do not see any indication of the maker. It is a 3 piece, 9'-0" long rod. I'm thinking about making an attempt to restore it, but have limited experience and thought that I should know what it is before changing anything.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A P Lodge name or model

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Interesting rod, but I have zero idea about it. Someone here will though. It needs at least some cosmetic work.

Jay Edwards

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

I believe your rod is an early Union Hardware rod.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Bamboocollector#1 wrote:
01/24/23 19:08
+1 The winding check.

SouthBrZar

Post by SouthBrZar »

I have looked at some of the other conversations on Union Hardware bamboo rods. Looks like they were made back into the 20's with their own production and some by Montague. How early in their production are you suspecting? What does the "+1 The winding check" mean? Is it just one of many rods made or is there any historic or monitory value to the rod?

If I do work on it, the first guide is missing. Would like to find out if it would have been a wire snake or agate.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Bamboocollector#1 wrote:
01/24/23 19:08
My first impression, also. The winding check and grip profile are unique, but I know I have seen them before. I feel the name on the rod is simply the owner's.
As for the stripping guide, unless the tip has an agate (or 'agatine') tiptop, I would mount a Mildrum style guide for the stripper. It was common, though not a rule, for factories to mount agates in pairs, i.e. tiptop and stripper. It was an extra cost option on some makers' price lists. Synthetic agates,such as glass, were commonly used by the big factories on higher grades.
"+1" is forum speak for 'ditto'.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Thanks Jeff!
The "winding check" is the metal bit just above the cork handle, the "tell" for me and is the same as this one on a UH built Thos E Wilson rod I own although yours appears to be partly overwrapped with thread.
And here's the reel seat(the part that hold the reel just below the cork handle) on the same rod.
The Union Hardware Co. of Torrington, CT was noted as a manufacturer of fishing reels and delved into the rod market in competition with the likes of Montague whose hardware was “mimicked” to make Union Hardware’s product more acceptable to the fishing public and retailers. Rarely marked with the company name, most rods were built for the trade and retailed by many.
My rod was built sometime before 1925 the year when Thos E. merged with a sporting goods company, expanded their line of products and initiated a name change.

SouthBrZar

Post by SouthBrZar »

Both of those pieces are similar, but there are differences. The Winding check return area to the cork is very straight, no outward flair. Also it does not appear to be wound over. The hexagonal shape of the bamboo extends right up to the face of the winding check. The reel seat is more similar, but still different. The socket for the back of the reel is formed as part of the metal cap that forms the end of the seat. Also the forward end of the seat has a band of fine diagonal hatch instead of just two parallel grooves.

SouthBrZar

Post by SouthBrZar »

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Definitely a Union Hardware built rod, most likely built in the mid- to late 1920's.

There are typical Union Hardware style traits on this rod's ferrules, winding check and reel seat. Many of Union Hardware's reel seats of this styling had that type of knurling pattern, an inch or so below the cork grip. If Montague added knurling on a reel seat of this style, it would typically be up close to the cork grip.
SouthBrZar wrote:Is it just one of many rods made or is there any historic or monitory value to the rod?
Union Hardware had a very sizeable factory and produced bamboo rods by the hundreds or even thousands per day. Most of their rod "models" were built in large batches to be sold to multiple wholesalers or retailers. Additionally an individual "model" may have been built basically the same way for years. That means this rod is probably not particularly special or rare and not many people are heavily into collecting Union Hardware rods.

That said, every bamboo rod is special and a hand crafted work of art, even if machines were involved in the production. Your rod appears to have some nice, high-end qualities, and would probably fish nicely with a little TLC.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

SouthBrZar

Post by SouthBrZar »

Thanks to all of you for the information and taking time to analyze and respond.

I agree with and appreciate the closing comment from Rex, "That said, every bamboo rod is special and a hand crafted work of art, even if machines were involved in the production. Your rod appears to have some nice, high-end qualities, and would probably fish nicely with a little TLC."

SouthBrZar

Post by SouthBrZar »

This is the only other reference to an A P Lodge bamboo fly rod that I have found. The site no longer has the thread on this question as far as I can tell. The name and rod length match, so I am guessing that it is not the owners name. Rather a model name, actual lodge, or something of the sort that they produced rods for.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

It appears that post on the Joes Old Lures message board was posted 10 months ago, or longer. How long have you had this rod?

The posted rod may have been the same rod as you have now, if you recently acquired it.

Well, this is why I like to see a lot of rods posted for identification... I started to post this -
  • The "A P Lodge" script on the rod doesn't look like typical Union Hardware shop applied scripting. It looks too smooth, fancy and thin lined compared to their typical hand scripted styling, so I don't think it's likely it was applied by Union Hardware. It was more likely applied by the retailer or by the owner.
After writing the above opinion, I decided to search the Forum for examples, instead of just relying on my memory, and found other examples that did not fit their typical scripting style.
This example is a fairly smooth, fancy script with quotes (similar to Montague's typical scripting)
viewtopic.php?p=576634&hilit=union+hard ... pt#p576634
This example is done in block lettering
viewtopic.php?p=590960&hilit=union+hard ... pt#p590960
This one is what I would consider "typical" Union Hardware scripting. A majority of the scripted Union Hardware rods that I've seen resembled this styling
viewtopic.php?p=643477&hilit=union+hard ... pt#p643477

So, my newest, latest, greatest opinion (that could change again tomorrow) is that Union Hardware was not very consistent in the hand scripted labeling of their rods over time. So there's a good chance the scripting was applied by Union Hardware, but we may never know for sure. If we had 2 or 3 similar instances it would be easier to narrow it down to the maker or the retailer.

This exercise reinforces the great value of this Forum as the premier source of information about vintage bamboo fly rods. Thanks to all who contribute! And a special thanks to those of you who research before posting!

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

SouthBrZar

Post by SouthBrZar »

I have had it for at least 5 years and mine is defiantly not in the good condition that they are describing. The script is applied under the finish, directly on the bamboo. I would interpret that as being applied by the maker, unless they were sending out unfinished rods.

SouthBrZar

Post by SouthBrZar »

The first of these 3 examples matches my rod in more ways than just the script. The script is very close, more than just being smooth and fancy. First letters have an exaggerated tilt to them and lower case are more vertical. The sweeping line leading into the leading letters. The reel seat and cork look to be an exact match. The Winding check has the same straight line to it and the texture/spacing of the texture has the same fine design. The earlier post that some of it may have been wound over could be correct.

SouthBrZar

Post by SouthBrZar »

Based on the previous rod review that had many similarities I decided to check for the ramped machined ferrule feature.
My rod needs to be rewrapped and finished anyway so I cut the winding off at one of the ferrules. It defiantly has the ramped machined ferrule. The ferrule also seems to be cleaning up extremely well. Does that indicate that it is NiS?

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Good news- looks like NS
Bad news- it's drawn, not machined, a cost issue
To the average angler, it won't make any difference. Leonards, Thomases, Edwards, and some others have machined ferrules. Most South Bends (not all models), most Montagues(not all), and most H-Is (not all) have drawn ferrules. As long as they're kept clean, and the integrity of the mount is maintained, the average angler will be fine. Neglect them and all bets are off.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”