EDISON FLY FISHING SHOW

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

carl otto
Master Guide

EDISON FLY FISHING SHOW

Post by carl otto »

There will be several of the bamboo fraternity exhibiting in Edison this week. COVID having kept several of us away the past two years. It is my hope those of you in the area can take the time to stop by and say Hi, waggle some rods, see something new, ask and answer questions. We need your support. Of course us, Wanigas Rod Company and also, Adams Angling, Art Weiler, Jim Becker, Spinoza and a few others. Looks like a good weekend coming up. Show starts, as always, on Friday, goes through Sunday. Lots of speakers and an ever changing cadre of exhibitors along with the regulars.

Best to all,

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

Brier549
Guide

Re: EDISON FLY FISHING SHOW

Post by Brier549 »

👍🏻

JerryG
Sport

Post by JerryG »

Hello All,
I will be at Steve Woit's booth 238 (Fly Fishing Treasures book). We will have a display. Stop by and say "Hello".
Jerry

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Boy, I wish the show organizers would find a new venue. I miss the Double Tree Hotel site in Somerset.

Sidemount Fan
Sport

Post by Sidemount Fan »

The American Museum of Fly Fishing will also be in attendance, in booth 1208. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

The show is not as big as before Covid. About a 25% decrease in exhibitors.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Thanks for letting us know Marty!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Yes, the show is slightly smaller. The area that had boats in it has no boats in it that creates a big void. It seems one row of exhibitors is lacking. Notably some of the big vendors r not here. There is plenty of boo to see and as always a good number of deals to be had. The long row of exceptional fly tiers and the venue of speakers is as good as ever. Come out and support the venue.

Carl

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Parting thoughts:

Thank you everyone for attending and stopping by our booth. The show had its notable moments;

1) Woolley the rooster crowed the show open every morning. Those of us inside early enough encountered him strutting down the aisles with his loving owner.

2) Scientific Anglers took a considerable time demystifying why there are so many fly line types now. There is actually rational science being applied here.

3) A gorgeous and rare Payne Model 285 walked into the booth. A combination rod with 3 tips, one mid and one butt, for a 9'0", 3/2, 5 WT. in all that Payne smoothness and by flipping the butt around so the reel seat was stationed forward of the grip (the handle/reel seat had a female ferrule plug in each end) with the appropriate tip, it became a 6'3" baitcaster with all red agate guides. Very novel.

4) The young man whose great uncle had willed his tackle to his Dad who then gifted it to him. Out of his bag he pulled a gorgeous Payne, followed by a very nice 8' Gillum and then a 7'6", 3/2 Gillum! Yikes, stuff like this still happens. He had no idea what he had and between the collaborative of bamboo guys he went way well informed of the value and history of the treasure he owned.

And of course there were many lively conversation about the craft and all sorts of peripheral asides.

Again thanks all,

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

carl otto wrote:
01/31/23 09:32
2) Scientific Anglers took a considerable time demystifying why there are so many fly line types now. There is actually rational science being applied here.
Besides the Payne magic, I was triggered by this Carl. Can you elaborate?
Because I think fly lines are the biggest scam in fly fishing industry :rollin

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

I have created a new post to elaborate on this.

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

ibookje wrote:
01/31/23 11:03

Because I think fly lines are the biggest scam in fly fishing industry :rollin
That makes two of us.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Fly line science is like all of the "technology" science... the science of greed.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

I had a good time at the show, spent time looking at everything, walked out not feeling poor - LOL. It was nice to see the cane rod makers in attendance.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Tommasini wrote:
01/24/23 15:29
Boy, I wish the show organizers would find a new venue. I miss the Double Tree Hotel site in Somerset.
You and me both. I'm hearing impaired so I can't really sit through any of the seminars because the cloth "rooms" let in to much background noise. That becomes all I hear instead of the speaker, like a constant drone of a bee hive.

Return to “Forum Announcements”