Delaminating bamboo

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

jhcoffeebum
Bamboo Fanatic

Delaminating bamboo

Post by jhcoffeebum »

I scarf tips as I need too but it’s hard to find the size tips in need. I was wondering if anyone has ever soaked extra mods and tips to take them apart and then planed the sections down to make the tapers they might need?
But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore

John Prine

kenwey4534
Guide

Re: Delaminating bamboo

Post by kenwey4534 »

That is very doable and I have on occasion. But it is more work than than starting from scratch from raw bamboo. Another consideration is the quality of the strip from the delaminated section. Is it an an old tired strip that should be retired. If you want to try it delamination is easy. Set it soak in water for a week and it will come apart. Give it a try, nothing to lose.

jhcoffeebum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhcoffeebum »

Thanks Ken! I’ve heard of putting the sections in warm to hot water in a tube and soaking them for a couple hours to get the sections to separate too.

John Prine

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

kenwey4534 wrote:
01/24/23 17:59
If you want to try it delamination is easy. Set it soak in water for a week and it will come apart. Give it a try, nothing to lose.
Wouldn't that depend on the glue used? I would expect sections glued with resorcinol, and possibly high strength epoxies, to not yield to a simple soak?

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

I have done this several times and it is a simple process. I put the section in a tub of water for a few days and then started separating it. I soaked it until I was able to get it completely apart without any damage. just take your time

jhcoffeebum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhcoffeebum »

henkverhaar wrote:
01/25/23 02:17
kenwey4534 wrote:
01/24/23 17:59
If you want to try it delamination is easy. Set it soak in water for a week and it will come apart. Give it a try, nothing to lose.
Wouldn't that depend on the glue used? I would expect sections glued with resorcinol, and possibly high strength epoxies, to not yield to a simple soak?
Yes it depends on the type of glue used. I would be using tips glued with hide glue.

John Prine

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Then a hot water soak should work just fine. Like Munsey said, this just requires care and patience, since some the strips might not come apart cleanly and require a little finesse to get apart without breaking them.

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

There's a first time for everything. I delaminated a section stressed about it, for apparently no reason. Hot water, time and be careful as mentioned above.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”