H. L. Leonard 8' 6" (3/2 w/nickel silver seat) identification

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bzbitnoff

H. L. Leonard 8' 6" (3/2 w/nickel silver seat) identification

Post by bzbitnoff »

I have just acquired an H.L. Leonard 3 piece 2 tip fly rod. The reel seat is nickel silver. It is "May" stamped on the lower foot cover. The stamped tag is extremely hard to read. I have included photos of the rod and closeups of the reel seat. I am trying to learn more about the rod including possible age and worth and if there is any thing significant about the May stamp. I do have what I believe is the original metal tube. I have also included a copy of the brass top.

Also the finish is starting to soften in a couple of places. Is it of more value in the original state or would it be better to refinish it? Any help would be much appreciated.

thank you

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: H. L. Leonard 8' 6" (3/2 w/nickel silver seat) identification

Post by crowebeetle »

It does look like it is in rough shape. The one tip you show is short by about 3-4 inches. Is there a second tip? Have you the original tube, ID tag, and cloth sleeve? Photos of those would be helpful. I am not an expert so others will likely chime in with more cogent analyses and potential value.

bzbitnoff

Post by bzbitnoff »

I do have the original tube. There is a picture of the cap. There is no other information on the tube. I am quite sure the cloth sleeve is not original. I is dark brown with no information. I did notice that the tip is short. The other tip is broken but I am planning on splicing it. Do you have any idea about the age or model. I am hoping the metal reel seat will help identify it.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

The format of the Leonard stamp can give you a range of dates. They varied it over the years. Search on the information on the stamp.

bzbitnoff

Post by bzbitnoff »

Based on what I could find, the rod is pre-patent (1894 - 1922) I still have not found anything about the nickel silver reel seat or the "May" stamp. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to search. I have done a pretty exhaustive search on the internet. Also anybody have a guess of potential value?

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

viewtopic.php?p=933512&hilit=leonard+bu ... ps#p933512 if you look on this thread you will find Leonard butt stamps. May is the owner. With 2 broken tips and varnish melt down, it is probably worth less than you hope for but I don't know the market for Leonards in this condition.

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

I had a prefire what I think was a model 51 with a metal seat. I haven't seen many. Maybe it was something one could order.

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

I forget what I sold it for honestly. It was complete bag tag and tube 3/2. Kinda wish I still had it.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”