Removing dark spots

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Palakona123
Guide

Removing dark spots

Post by Palakona123 »

I have a few rods from the late 10s to the late 30s that I’m restoring, and as with most rods of this age, storage conditions and time itself has caused the varnish to either craze or melt in some places. Where the cane has been exposed, it has taken on a darker hue, leaving dark spots all over the cane when refinished.

Would there be any way to remove these spots? Most of the rods are salmon rods, so sanding a bit won’t take away much of the total diameter, but I would preferably try to find another way, which could also be used on trout rods. All input is appreciated.

A refinished section from a 14’ 1938 Hardy «LRH salmon fly» Apart from these darkened spots, it’s 14’ of completely clean, blond cane. A torn in my side!

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Removing dark spots

Post by henkverhaar »

Have you considered oxalic acid?

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

henkverhaar wrote:
01/26/23 05:41
Have you considered oxalic acid?
I have used it on rust stains, but not on these spots as I belive that it only reacts with iron oxide. Shall give it a try, maybe it works.

kenwey4534
Guide

Post by kenwey4534 »

Oxalic acid is used as a wood bleach also. I would test it on a sacrifice strip first if I were you.

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

Worked quite well after a few applications. Turned out that the solution was right in front of me. Thanks for the tip!

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”