Information on a mystery reel

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Lupalupa
Guide

Information on a mystery reel

Post by Lupalupa »

I have received this reel as a gift from a friend of the family. This was a grandfather's reel that is just sitting in a box.

I am looking a for a little bit about the maker, and how to remove the spool

The face of the reel has a knurled drag adjuster on the front which seems very much "a friction fit", in the middle is a slotted screw which I assume releases the spool, but there is less than an 1/8 of a turn of movement on the screw, and the spool still feels like it is retained by the knurled drag adjuster.

The rear of the spool has a clicker on off switch and two rivets.

Anyone have some advise on how to crack this reel open, and maybe the manufacturer?

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Information on a mystery reel

Post by crowebeetle »

Is the hex nut on the rear a possibility for disassembly?

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

It does not feel right, but that broke it open. Thank you.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

It did seem odd that it was a hex nut rather than round which to me implied that it was the key. Nice reel BTW

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

The knurled drag nut on the spool releases the spool. I have this reel, it’s a Japanese knock off of an Ocean City reel.

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

bugslinger wrote:
01/25/23 16:25
The knurled drag nut on the spool releases the spool. I have this reel, it’s a Japanese knock off of an Ocean City reel.
That looks exactly how I think it should come apart, I'll pull it apart again from the Hex nut to see why i cannot separate the front drag nut from the spool

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Are you missing the brass colored cupped washer that goes under the knurled drag nut?

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

From the description and picture below, I do believe that washer is there. My issue is I cannot remove the knurled drag nut off the top of the post.

After work today I will soak it in some penetrating oil and see if that frees things up.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I don't know if it's an optical illusion of the photo or not, but the drag nut looks like it might be cross-threaded on. I wonder if the threads were stripped, and someone used something like lock-tite to secure it on.

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

headwaters wrote:
01/26/23 09:53
I don't know if it's an optical illusion of the photo or not, but the drag nut looks like it might be cross-threaded on. I wonder if the threads were stripped, and someone used something like lock-tite to secure it on.
That theory is entirely reasonable, I'll poke around after work

Return to “Classic Reels”