Fly line treatment

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

MtBrittany
Master Guide

Fly line treatment

Post by MtBrittany »

Looking for a fly line treatment to (1) provide a smooth surface to help shoot the line and (2) provide a coating to help float the line.

Ideally, one treatment to do both would be best though I am not adverse to double applications if required. Use to use the pads provided by Cortland when I bought a new fly line but that practice has stopped.

I will not use Armor All. Have used it in the past with dismal results. After numerous applications, the Armor All seemed to eat away the fly line coating.

Thanks,
Rod

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fly line treatment

Post by Caneghost »

Just about every line company markets something and, like the lines, the prices keep going up. Umpqua's Glide works well as does the ultra slick treatment made and sold by The Silver Trout in Vermont. I would not expect any of them to last more than a day's fishing, at least not if you wish to get maximum casting performance. The amount of sediment in your water affects that as I expect does water chemistry on a given day. Loon Line Speed works pretty well too.

Using more of these potions in an application does not seem to achieve better results, so you may as well use a little and make them last. For the Glide and Line Speed, you do get the best and longest lasting effect by applying them and waiting several hours (24 is best) before buffing them off with a soft cloth. I prefer very old worn out tee shirts cut into small pieces. If you fish Airflo or other copolymer lines (non PVC) try the Silver Trout's potion and avoid the others.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Fly line treatment

Post by ibookje »

First thing that will help better shooting is a *clean* fly line. So don’t let junk from the water (even ‘gin clear’ water is full of sediments) dry up on your fly line after fishing. Run through a piece of moist tissue several times after a days fishing.

When cleaned, little bit of any line shooting liquid on a clean tissue will go a long way. Not soaking the fly line!

I got many fly lines that are 10+ years old and still fish well. If they are all cracked after many years of service,I use them for lawn casting

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Older lines that take to buffing clean up great... it's all in the work you put in.
Newer lines require far less cleaning - just my experience.
I'll put five thumbs up for Cortland lines!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I have found that keeping the line clean is the most important thing. As far as the treatment products, they’re all the same.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Umpqua Glide, I've been using it for years and it's still the best in my opinion. Don't buff it, it doesn't need it, just let it dry overnight

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I try to clean my lines a couple times a season in warm soapy water, then after drying I use Cortland line cleaner pads....amazing how how much dirt is removed during the process.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Keeping clean and making them water repellent with Otter Butter, Albolene, or Reigerkuitenvet (my own concoction) is all I do... The oldest line I have that still sees occasional use is more than 20 years old. It's cracked, but it still performs - Cortland 444 Peach and 444SL lime types.

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

I have used the Rio line cleaner with great results.
I have used Glide some but not to the extent of Rio, but it also works well IMO

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Another vote for Albolene cream. It is cheap and does the job.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”