Leather retaining strap on early Chubb formcases

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Leather retaining strap on early Chubb formcases

Post by jeffkn1 »

The late Dave Howell was generous both here on the forum and off. He saw a need for the leather straps that Chubb once used and he paid a leather shop to make some up back in '05. Four of them he gave to me. For any of you with a need for them, here's what they look like, as well as a drawing with dimensions.
RIP, Dave! And thanks again.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leather retaining strap on early Chubb formcases

Post by jeffkn1 »

In the Leonard thread, viewtopic.php?t=147222, I notice that Paul's(canesterdf) Varney is put up on a distinctive formcase with these straps. I sold a Varney to Rex that was on one of those formcases but it didn't have the straps when I got it. I sold a mystery rod to Ed that came on a form that I recall was very similar, that same very close fit on darkly finished wood. I'm now thinking that Chubb made the forms as well as the straps.
If anyone else has a rod that's on a very dark, almost black, wood form, and tapered to a narrow dimension on the female ferrule end, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”