A Tale of the Well Travelled Salmon (eggs)

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Salar4me
Guide

A Tale of the Well Travelled Salmon (eggs)

Post by Salar4me »

There have been some discussions about slow moving packages... here is a success story!

Our TU chapter has been participating in Trout in the Classroom initiatives within local schools...

Atlantic salmon are known to travel long distances but this year's Salmon in the Classroom fish completed a FedEx journey of nearly 2400 miles before they even hatched. 

They left the care of the Maine State Fish Hatchery in Casco Maine at 2:15 PM on Tuesday, Jan 24th and took a short trip by van to the the Portland, ME airport.  From Portland at 12:08 AM they began a 1200 mile trip to Memphis TN. After a change of planes they came back north 1056 miles to arrive in Syracuse at 6:37 AM.  Quick trips in vans from Syracuse to Oriskany brought them to Miller Road,  Blossvale by 9:53 AM on January 25 where they were separated in five batches for short trips in the caring hands of Trout Unlimited and Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club members for distribution to Camden Middle School, BOCES in Verona and New Hartford and Cazenovia College. Soon, these fish will be well educated as well as well travelled.

Extremely impressed with the students and their teachers yesterday in Camden Middle School. The brook trout delivered earlier in the fall are doing fine. The kids we’re knowledgeable, extremely interested and invested in the project, as well as polite. The future is indeed bright!

wctc1
Master Guide

Re: A Tale of the Well Travelled Salmon (eggs)

Post by wctc1 »

That is a good story for many reasons. Thank you and TU. Joe here

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”