silks

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

jimlucey
Guide

silks

Post by jimlucey »

hi folks ,
getting ready to wrap my first rod . thanks to the folks who have helped me along the way . good thing i'm never in a hurry ;) .
has anyone ever used these silks to wrap guides and ferrules ? the 2 on the left are gutterman , the middle 2 are perivale , the last 3 sovereign . i have an assorted box and some good colors . i'll test wrap some tomorrow . just wondering if anyone had experience .
thanks , jim
i'll do a good post when the rod is done . hopefully sooner rather than later . or at least before spring hahah.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Re: silks

Post by JoeBolt »

Give it a try, Jim - you might like it, but your selection of threads seems to my eye to be pretty heavy duty industrial thread, that may not give you the typical look found on most bamboo. To each his own.
I tried to find a reference for what Size V really means, but it's quite the textile rabbit hole.

As a beginner, I choose 50wt silks that are fairly easily found at JOANN or Hobby Lobby, or of course online. Young eyes and steady hands can even go with very fine classic 100wt threads as tradition may dictate. I was fascinated to re-learn that 50wt means 50 kilometers (!) of thread needed to weigh 1 kilo.

See what you think firsthand, then take it slow! I adhere to that philosophy! Best wishes.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”