Tip top adhesive

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

rfarq

Tip top adhesive

Post by rfarq »

Hi all. Need to re attach tip top on 70’s era Orvis Impregnated Madison bamboo. I don’t know if there is a specific glue to use. Am a bit worried about an adverse chemical reaction between the
adhesive and the impregnating chemicals. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Tip top adhesive

Post by SpringCreek »

Two part epoxy will work just fine. You should be able to pick some up at any hardware store. Quick or long cure will both be fine. I've known individuals to reattach tip tops with CA glue, but I'm not sure of its ability to stand up to long term use.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

In case you may already have it in your house or available nearby, another good option is a suitable hotmelt glue like Ferr-l-tite or those used in arrow making and repair.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

I’ll leave it to the professional experts here.
Last edited by bugslinger on 02/02/23 12:14, edited 2 times in total.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Good old ferrule glue, the hot melt stuff. Don't stick a glob of it on the end of the tip section. Slice a couple of thin pieces and fill the barrel of the tip top and heat the tip top. When it bubbles out of the tip top, stick it on the tip and hold in the right position for a few seconds. And done!

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

5 minute 'poxy here. I've used hot melt glue as well - usually when I need to get things done rapidly or as a temp measure, but I'm not too keen on the longevity of the end result. I've had tiptops installed with hot melt glue come off while fishing. Never had that with poxied tiptops...

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I switched to hot melt when I finally learned the right way to use it. Some slices of it in the tip top then heat then put on tip top. Same as what Jim said.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

I’ve used Ferrulite for 40 years as occasionally rods come into the shop requiring new tip tops. Removal is easy with hot melt glues.
Epoxy, well, extreme heat is the only way perhaps destroying the bamboo.

Don

Bill M.
Sport

Post by Bill M. »

I use the hot melt ferrule glue. Or arrowhead glue and it is sometimes called now. I also wrap up to and onto the tip to further hold it if the glue gets hot in a car trunk. I dot use epoxy on reel seats.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

I concur with Don and some others, either Ferrulite, or my choice Pliobond, are good adhesives that allow one future opportunities to replace or adjust the tips, which the more permanent epoxy complicates as also noted.

Carl

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

Here is a cleaner way to handle hot glue. With a glue gun lay down a string of glue on a surface it will easily peel off. Diameter of string should be about half the I.D. to the tip top. Peel string and insert in tiptop and trim flush. Heat tiptop and install. I use the high temperature variety of hot glue and have never had one come off.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

rfarq

Post by rfarq »

I really appreciate all the feedback fellas. I think the hot glue Ferrulite seems the best way to go. Cheers.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

In response to Mike’s suggestion, which is entirely correct, I was reminded of the method that was described to me by a volume rod builder. That is, heat the glue with a alcohol lamp and wipe strips of the glue onto a sheet of wax paper. I did that last night. Much much better than slicing off little strips.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”