Green silk

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Palakona123
Guide

Green silk

Post by Palakona123 »

I have a few rods that are whipped with dark green «elephant brand» silk. I have a few spools of the original silk, but would like to find a good substitute. There are 3 sizes used on the rods, 150, 250 and 350 denier, roughly.
The issue has been to find a silk that is dark in colour, but won’t turn blackish when treated with shellac. Other silks, even brighter than the Elephant silk, tend to turn dark as the colours don’t seem to be strong enough.

A picture of some rods whipped with the original silk, and another silk, which is a quite close match, both treated with shellac. The spools are virtually indentical in colour, the difference is far greater in the picture. I would think that a silk, slightly brighter than the Elepant, would be the best, but I struggle to find one that is available in different sizes. All input is appreciated.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Green silk

Post by OldCane »

Have you tried Belvoirdale for Elephant silk?
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

OldCane wrote:
02/02/23 12:46
Have you tried Belvoirdale for Elephant silk?
Yes, but he seems to be running low on some sizes, and I would need some lighter thread for signature whippings too.

mduval
Guide

Post by mduval »

Palakona123 wrote:
01/31/23 08:13
I have a few rods that are whipped with dark green «elephant brand» silk. I have a few spools of the original silk, but would like to find a good substitute. There are 3 sizes used on the rods, 150, 250 and 350 denier, roughly.
The issue has been to find a silk that is dark in colour, but won’t turn blackish when treated with shellac. Other silks, even brighter than the Elephant silk, tend to turn dark as the colours don’t seem to be strong enough.

A picture of some rods whipped with the original silk, and another silk, which is a quite close match, both treated with shellac. The spools are virtually indentical in colour, the difference is far greater in the picture. I would think that a silk, slightly brighter than the Elepant, would be the best, but I struggle to find one that is available in different sizes. All input is appreciated.

What color is your shellac? Super blonde?
If you don’t find the thread you’re looking for this may be a case for lacquer for your “fixing” coat.

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

mduval wrote:
02/06/23 17:55
Palakona123 wrote:
01/31/23 08:13

What color is your shellac? Super blonde?
If you don’t find the thread you’re looking for this may be a case for lacquer for your “fixing” coat.
It’s bleached and dewaxed, so about as light as it can get I reckon. I shall give it a try with laquer instead.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”