Stanley 9-1/2 adjustment issue

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Stanley 9-1/2 adjustment issue

Post by LeeO »

So I find my Hock blade in a no-man’s land with regard to adjustment. One notch is basically all the way forward and the screw adjustment can’t make it to the next notch. What do you all do in that situation? I don’t recall this happening before and I have had this plane for quite a while. I am tempted to grind out the center of the blade to allow it to travel just a hair farther forward
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Franknrod
Guide

Re: Stanley 9-1/2 adjustment issue

Post by Franknrod »

I had the same problem. After grinding off a small part of the cutting edge then sharpening, it fixed the problem. Depending on your sharpening method, it can take a long time to sharpen the blade since more metal needs to be removed than usual to reestablish the angle.
Frank Payne

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

I use my Dremel with a fine cutting wheel and lengthen the notch. I have been able to use the whole blade without issues. This is a blade I just recently retired after many, many rods. Just cut up on either side of the slot and take a needle nose pliers to break out the center and you're good to go for a long time to come. Use safety glasses...lots of sparks fly, but it actually cuts pretty easy...just have a steady hand, and if will get hot so be careful.

John

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I also had this problem which isn't a problem any longer since I started using the G12-020's. It is super frustrating to the point where I gave up. If you're determined to stick with the traditional 9 1/2 I'd buy Veritas irons and be done with it.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

3creeks wrote:
01/31/23 09:56
I also had this problem which isn't a problem any longer since I started using the G12-020's. It is super frustrating to the point where I gave up. If you're determined to stick with the traditional 9 1/2 I'd buy Veritas irons and be done with it.

I’ve got a g12-020 and a -060. I can’t get either to perform as well as the 9-1/2
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

LeeO wrote:
01/31/23 11:30
3creeks wrote:

I’ve got a g12-020 and a -060. I can’t get either to perform as well as the 9-1/2
Wow, seriously? What do you find lacking in the G12 that the 9 1/2 does better? Maybe I haven't used my 9 1/2 enough due to the iron issues but I prefer the G12 over my Lie Nielsen 9 1/2 or the really nice Veritas block plane. Maybe I should get a Veritas iron for the 9 1/2 like I suggested to you and see if I like it better. That iron issue really is baffling and I wonder if nobody has said anything about it to Hock.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I took my own advice and ordered a Veritas PM-V11 iron for my vintage Stanley 9 1/2 plane. I've never given that plane much of a chance considering the blade issue. I will say that I have two older Hock irons that don't have the same issue. But they took on some rust pitting and due to that I've never been able to get much of an edge on them hence I don't use them. Whatever they changed about the way the slots were milled it really is a problem.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

3creeks wrote:
01/31/23 15:29
LeeO wrote:
01/31/23 11:30
3creeks wrote:

Wow, seriously? What do you find lacking in the G12 that the 9 1/2 does better? Maybe I haven't used my 9 1/2 enough due to the iron issues but I prefer the G12 over my Lie Nielsen 9 1/2 or the really nice Veritas block plane. Maybe I should get a Veritas iron for the 9 1/2 like I suggested to you and see if I like it better. That iron issue really is baffling and I wonder if nobody has said anything about it to Hock.
No matter what I do there will be a point where the G12’s will lift a splinter of bamboo. I use the same sharpening regimen as the I do with the 9-1/2. The 9-1/2 essentially never lifts material. The 9-1/2 is a giant PITA as far as getting the iron correct, but I mostly have that down now. The adjustment on the 9-1/2 is also finer than the G12s.

I can get the G12-060 to perform well but it also very particular about downward pressure. Something that doesn’t seem to matter with the 9-1/2.

I think it is all personal preference. At first I thought Iiked the G12s but wound up sticking with the 9-1/2
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Weird, I have no issues with lifting. Those models seem more comfortable in my hand and I hold them from the back and let the weight put the downward pressure on the cane more than I do it. I have heard that the regular 9 1/2 has more fine adjustment capabilities but I just haven't used mine enough to learn that. I'll see how I like it with the Veritas iron. I'm also going to try John's trick with the Dremel on the defective irons. I have two brand new Hock irons that are mostly useless due to this problem. If nothing else I can resurrect the plane for other things.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

re-grinding the bevel to a more shallow angle may help, a few degrees could buy you a lot of blade real estate. I prefer a steeper angle on cane but plenty of people use a low angle with good results.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

The blade shown looks like it's been through the wringer. After you have established your micro bevel, say from 30 degrees to 35 degrees, why would you continue to grind that edge as opposed to just freshen it up on either your wet stone, or as in my case , on a Work Sharp? I have Veritas blades that I have used for 15 years that display none of the grinding that is shown here, in fact, the micro bevel hasn't even arrived to the original ground bevel in any one of the 3 blades that I use in my Veritas Standard Angle Block Plane.

joehudock
Guide

Post by joehudock »

LeeO wrote:
01/31/23 09:25
So I find my Hock blade in a no-man’s land with regard to adjustment. One notch is basically all the way forward and the screw adjustment can’t make it to the next notch. What do you all do in that situation? I don’t recall this happening before and I have had this plane for quite a while. I am tempted to grind out the center of the blade to allow it to travel just a hair farther forward
I've had that issue with Hock blades. The metal web between the slots is too wide. I thinned mine down with a dremel diamond burr enough so that the adjuster teeth seat all the way into the slots.
This photo is before surgery. note how the blade is pushed up from the frog by the adjuster teeth.

This is the after surgery photo. Note that the blade rests on the frog and not the adjuster teeth.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”