The Scientific Anglers Lines

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Scientific Anglers Lines

Post by jim royston »

There is an old saying that applies to a lot of these situations, albeit a brand new driver (that you can't hit any better than the old one) a brand new thousand dollar super dooper graphite rod that you can't cast any better the the one you just retired, etc, etc.
It's not the arrow, it's the indian

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

jim royston wrote:
02/01/23 12:30
There is an old saying that applies to a lot of these situations, albeit a brand new driver (that you can't hit any better than the old one) a brand new thousand dollar super dooper graphite rod that you can't cast any better the the one you just retired, etc, etc.
It's not the arrow, it's the indian
But a smart and accurate indian has a bow and arrow that shoots straight😎

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

jim royston wrote:
02/01/23 12:30
It's not the arrow, it's the indian.
It's a phenomenon that manufacturers completely understand and take advantage of.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Brooks wrote:
02/01/23 12:09
Now that lines are often $100 (and up) I think it would behoove manufacturers to do everything they can to make it really inexpensive for fly shops to have dozens of “demo” lines, different tapers, weights, coatings, for customers to try out before purchasing. It would help wary customers, and ultimately increase sales.
A great way to add value for the bricks and mortar fly shop…

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

“It's a phenomenon that manufacturers completely understand and take advantage of.”

The basis of most all commerce.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

davemaine wrote:
02/01/23 11:35
Where I would hope they go next is developing lines that are more environmentally friendly: pvc kinda sucks from that perspective.
Airflo lines are PVC free…

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

My favorite lines are SA Frequency models: WF Trout, DT Trout and Boost. The Frequency line is good bang for the buck. They perform well enough, and they're pretty tough. It still floats just fine. In my experience, line memory is also relatively low compared to other companies' products. The WF Trout is a long tapered wf line. It feels pretty close to the a level DT, but with a little more turnover from the forward weight, but it's not too aggressive and won't thump your fly(s) on the water. It mends well, and I get slightly tighter loops with it compared to level taper lines. All in all, it fits my casting style, is versatile and I imagine it'll work for lots of people, fishing rigs and rods. Also, with about twenty feet of line out and on, the line diameter is pretty small, so it shoots nicely through old tiny guides (think Granger stripping guides). The DT Trout is a level taper with correct traditional grain weights, and the Boost is a level taper that's a half set heavy. If you prefer level tapers then the DT Trout and Boost allow you to index lines in half steps; so you can really find the sweetheart line for your rod.

Jeremy.

PS: I have no affiliation with SA. I just fish weekly year-round, and don't buy into top-of-the-line stuff. SA's mid tier line is where quality and value meet.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Jeremy: Very excellent post. Thank you, Joe here

Ps: I've had a number of cane rods, including Grangers with the small stripping guide. I have fiberglass and woven carbon-fibre rods.

I have a number of lines. It all depends on the rod, casting action, and a bunch of other things, not least of which "does the reel balance the rod?"

I don't think $ has much to do with it. That's why car dealers sell everything from Yugos to Ferraris.

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

Thanks, Joe! Glad you liked my post. Truth be told, I work in Quality Assurance. I think about quality and how it relates to value all the time! From gear, to food, to experiences, etc.

Many industries have companies that work at progressing tech, quality, etc. And many of them have a trickle down effect. Meaning, this year's expensive, pro, high-tech, product will be next year's middle, or lower, tier affordable goods.

For instance, I commute to work via bike and love the quality to value ratio of 1980-1999 Japanese bike components. In the mid eighties, Shimano's Deore Dura Ace components were top of line, by the early 90s the same 1985 Deore Dura Ace was now labeled and sold as the lowest grade Deore component. My 1990 Fuji Saratoga daily commuter bike, with its base Deore components, has the same quality components that Tour de France riders were using just a few years before that bike was made.

SA does this, too. This year's Mastery line tech will be next year's Frequency line tech and it goes on.

Because of my career, I'm fascinated with finding products with what I call strong "value to quality" ratios. Typically, this is not new tech. It's new tech from a few years. SA Frequency sits high on my list. The Mastery line has some advantages, but they're minor and in a year or two the "Mastery" advantages will likely trickle down to the Frequency line-up. I also firmly believe Granger rods, to this day, have a great value to quality ratio.

-Jer
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

gclark
Sport

Post by gclark »

Mac7x
In response to your question as to what three lines they recommend for bamboo, I entered the word “bamboo” into the “search” box on SA’s website, and this is the result. These are the 3 lines that they specifically mention as being, using their words “wonderful on glass and bamboo“

AMPLITUDE TEXTURED DOUBLE TAPER
AUGUST 15, 2019

AMPLITUDE SMOOTH TROUT
MAY 29, 2018

AMPLITUDE TEXTURED TROUT
SEPTEMBER 6,

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

If you want the above mentioned same tapers for half the price. Go Frequency or Mastery on sale. Do you need the rear loop? Maybe on the double taper, but otherwise, no. Albright knots are fun to tie. Do you need textured lines? Maybe, but I'd lean towards no. Is the Amplitude a little slicker and more durable? A little, but I doubt it's going to make your day on the water that much better.

-J.

-Harry Middleton.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

GCLARK:
Thank you very much. As I posted earlier, I entered "lines for bamboo rods" in the search box. The result I got was: NO SEARCH RESULTS FOR "LINES FOR BAMBOO RODS". Apparently, I'm too wordy.
Thanks again.

gclark
Sport

Post by gclark »

Mac7x
Glad to help!
Gary

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I have heard that the SA Frequency is just a rebranded Supra/Ultra 4 which at one time was their highest quality line. It’s a nice line non the less :).

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Besides Tom’s 406 lines we also got Wulff Bamboo Special (their Long Belly line with a different color) also made by SA

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

According to the SA shop catalog the following lines are noted in their opinion are suitable for bamboo rods:

MASTERY: Trout
AMPLITUDE SMOOTH: Trout
AMPLITUDE TEXTURED: Trout
AMPLITUDE TEXTURED: Double Taper

Carl

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

carl otto wrote:
02/02/23 08:36
According to the SA shop catalog the following lines are noted in their opinion are suitable for bamboo rods:

MASTERY: Trout
AMPLITUDE SMOOTH: Trout
AMPLITUDE TEXTURED: Trout
AMPLITUDE TEXTURED: Double Taper

Carl
What do they claim makes those particular lines suitable for bamboo rods?

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Well I don’t know what their criteria are, but there are 12 “true to weight” floating lines listed which could be perfectly suitable for bamboo, ranging in price from $40 to $130

4x Amplitude Textured @$130 = DT, Trout,Trout Standard, Bonefish (if you want to use bamboo in the salt)
2x Amplitude Smooth @$100 = Trout, Bonefish
3x Mastery @$80 = Trout, Trout Standard, DT
2x Frequency @$60 = Trout, DT
1x Aircel @$40 = Aircel

But I see no reason to discount some of the “x size heavy” lines in the right circumstances, especially the Amplitude Smooth Creek

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

ibookje wrote:
02/02/23 02:36
Besides Tom’s 406 lines we also got Wulff Bamboo Special (their Long Belly line with a different color) also made by SA
And the Orvis lines

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

JabaliHunter wrote:
02/02/23 10:22
….But I see no reason to discount some of the “x size heavy” lines in the right circumstances, especially the Amplitude Smooth Creek
Very good point. We’re in a hobby of literally splitting hairs. If a line is 1/2 size heavy , it might be just the ticket to also slightly underline a rod—don’t get hung up on the fact that it is “heavy”. I’ve got a 8 for five Howells that works better for me slightly underlined with a 4+.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”