Orvis tube label

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Orvis tube label

Post by Flyman615 »

Hello Fellow Forumers:

I'm looking to replace an Orvis tube label from the 1970s. Specifically, it's the green and silver label found on the grey metallic tubes (w/ hex cap) of the era.

I checked with the Orvis Rod Shop and, of course, they no longer use or stock such labels nor will they provide a current label to use as a substitute. Disappointing, because they used to, take my word for it.

At any rate, as a shot in the proverbial dark, does anyone out have an Orvis tube label--OR FACSIMILE/COPY--I could use? I'd be happy to pay for such a thing that might work. It doesn't have to match the green/silver label. Any unmarked Orvis rod tube label or photocopy would work.

Please PM me or e-mail SZeke1(at)aol(dot) com. Thanks very much in advance!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis tube label

Post by Flyman615 »

Well, I struck out with Orvis and with Fellow Forumers as well. So after thinking for a moment, I decided to ask my daughter--who's a graphic artist and works for a printing company--if she could help.

Here's the result which I believe is a pretty faithful reproduction of the original Orvis tube label. Thanks Erin!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

Orvis replaced a label on the tube from a Battenkill rod that I had sent in for restoration. I think it was 2021.
Mike B

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

My rod does not need restoration, and Orvis no longer has these labels from the 1970s available.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Some twenty years ago I sent in a Model 99 for restoration and Orvis made a new tube with a S/N'ed label for it. It wasn't the period label or tube, but better than nothing. If you have someone in the family with the talent to make a reproduction label then my hat's off to her.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Flyman615 wrote:
02/11/23 11:01
Well, I struck out with Orvis and with Fellow Forumers as well. So after thinking for a moment, I decided to ask my daughter--who's a graphic artist and works for a printing company--if she could help.

Here's the result which I believe is a pretty faithful reproduction of the original Orvis tube label. Thanks Erin!

Scott Z.
Wow, that's super nice, and more legible than the original embossed data.

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

How lucky are you ? ! just round off the corners & it is perfect. Could she do a Heddon ?

bamboo....mike

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

That’s perfect
Now the whole forum knows who to contact for new labels! :D

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”