Super South Bend Cross Built 31 restoration

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Kave
Guide

Super South Bend Cross Built 31 restoration

Post by Kave »

Hi Folks,
I have an early SSBCB 31 8 1/2’ from about 1930 with the slide band, nickel silver reel seat. This model seems to be somewhat rare as far as South Bends are concerned so this may be somewhat of a shot in the dark.

When I acquired this rod, it was in need of a new grip and was missing the winding check. I’m hoping another early 31 owner will see this and post a photo of the winding check. I believe this rod to be single built unlike the later 30/31s that were double built.

I’ve scoured previous posts and haven’t found a good pic.
I’d like to restore this as original as possible so I remain in limbo.

Thanks All.

CMcDowell
Guide

Re: Super South Bend Cross Built 31 restoration

Post by CMcDowell »

Here's a picture of an SB Cross Singlebuilt. I believe it's a model 1550 c.1933-35 according to my notes. I don't know how much variation there may have been in winding checks during that period.

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

CMcDowell,
Thank you for responding and posting the pic. Does your rod have a serial number below the stripping guide? The reason I ask is that I’ve only seen that winding check (knurling around the base) on Doublebuilt rods. Great looking stick, by the way.
I have a dozen or so SBs and within that sample there’s three different checks. I’m hoping the early 31 doesn’t reveal a fourth. Here’s a pic of the three:

L to R
SB/Cross 155 - late 1920s, Doublebuilt pre- knurled check
327 Doublebuilt- 1937
359 - post war, ubiquitous

CMcDowell
Guide

Post by CMcDowell »

Yeah, the rod I have has a serial number below the stripper. It has the ULSL aluminum hardware seat with the black synthetic spacer. Cross Singlebuilt is inscribed on the seat ring along with South Bend.

That's a nice group of SB Cross rods you have.

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

Very interesting and good to know. Thank you for your input.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Dave

I finally located my SB 30 Super South Bend 8 1/2. It has the Hardy-style screw lock seat(as Thomas called them), and chrome plated ferrules. The winding check is the small, plain NS. If you have the earlier seat on your 31, odds are it would have had the same winding check. That check was also found on the pre-SB Cross rods. I'll try to furnish a photo this evening.

Jeff

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

Thanks Jeff, that helps a lot!

It sounds like the check is the same as the one on my 155. Is yours a single or double built?

Dave

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

It has no doublebuilt hallmarks, none written, no decal, no db winding check.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”