<()))>< "With the Trout Fly" by Ladd Plumley

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

<()))>< "With the Trout Fly" by Ladd Plumley

Post by Hellmtflies »

It never stops to astound me how much one never knows. :) Recently I was plowing through "With the Trout Fly" by Ladd Plumley. Published in 1929 by Stokes. The in print, see below, was an answer to an issue that troubles many an angler over the years. Now I know there are rod makers that hate installing hook keepers to their rod. I don't understand that as I absolutely love hook keepers. Yea, I know, the weight issues etc. I don't want to hear that. The weight of a hook keeper is just plain insignificant to me. Anyway, here in Plumley's book is an answer to the issue that I had never seen of, heard of or thought about before. Add a hook keeper to the reel? Really? How the heck did I never come across this before. I've collected dam near 600 titles on fly fishing for trout and had never crossed paths with is concept before. Am I alone here? Now I don't like the idea mind you. I think a hook keeper on that part of a reel would not last long. I suspect it could catch on something and break off or bend etc. Just a thought. But I still am surprised by the concept. See the photos below. What are your thoughts?
Mark

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: <()))>< "With the Trout Fly" by Ladd Plumley

Post by ibookje »

I like hook keepers also myself.
It makes it less fumbling with looking for a place on my reel to hook my fly, wrap around the reel foot, etc.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Sorry Mark, just habit I guess, but I like my fly hooked on one of the upper guides so there is at least a foot or two of fly line out of the tip-top.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I think the issue is stabbing yourself in the thumb. I guess the forefinger or elsewhwere would be as bad. It was a Garrison thing, I guess, as he knew a lady who was impaled.

Jay Edwards

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I think the issue is stabbing yourself in the thumb. I guess the forefinger or elsewhwere would be as bad. It was a Garrison thing, I guess, as he apparently knew a lady who was impaled.

Jay Edwards

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PT48 wrote:
02/02/23 15:34
Sorry Mark, just habit I guess, but I like my fly hooked on one of the upper guides so there is at least a foot or two of fly line out of the tip-top.
So, are you wrapping the leader around the reel first? The up to say the stripping guide? The issue I have with this approach is that the leader can be weakened and cut by the reel itself and or grease and oil can make their way onto the leader and line.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Hellmtflies wrote:
02/02/23 11:50
... Now I know there are rod makers that hate installing hook keepers to their rod. I don't understand that as I absolutely love hook keepers. ...
I've read that book myself, mostly because it was referenced by several other authors I read prior... that said, not sure a "hook keeper" has to do with weight on a cane rod???

I have several used Orvis Battenkills, and many of these were sent back to Orvis for "minor tune-ups"... in one particular, I asked Charlie--- forget his last name, but he was the Orvis cane rod man at the time--- about repairing a rod AND replacing the hook keeper, which had broken off... Charlie asked me why I sent that rod back and I told him the tippet of a fly engaged in my hook-keeper caught a bush, causing me issues... He asked me IF I REALLY WANTED THAT HOOK KEEPER REPLACED, saying they are the cause of many problems....

Just saying....

Ed

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Yes Mark, wrap the leader around the top of the reel just below the foot and take it right up the rod and hook it on a guide about three down from the tip-top.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Anyway, have any of you folks seen or heard of this reel hook keeper before? Inquiring minds want to know.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

PT48 wrote:
02/02/23 17:50
Yes Mark, wrap the leader around the top of the reel just below the foot and take it right up the rod and hook it on a guide about three down from the tip-top.
This is what I do now myself.... :D

Mark, not the answer you sought... :o

Ed

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

PT48 wrote:
02/02/23 17:50
This is what a guide in New Zealand instructed me to do (over two different years) and now I do it all the time and it works perfectly for me.

Return to “Book Talk”