A different take on the ventilated grip

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

A different take on the ventilated grip

Post by jim royston »

I liked the look of these, the way Paul Young did it, but I prefer to stack rings one on top the other and compress them a little. So I cut them in on my lathe with my crosslide.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: A different take on the ventilated grip

Post by Canewrap »

I like the way the ventilated grips feel, but I am with you on the stacking and gluing rings. Since I don't have a lathe to do it the way you did, I will probably just build a jig and use my dremel with a cutoff disk in it to get the concentric grooves. The first one I do, I will use the stash of old champagne cork end pieces I have so as not to waste my really good cork. In fact, musing to myself while I write this, I think I'll try a couple of experimental things on this rod. Well, now you got me excited to try something different.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Jim, if I understand correctly, you are cutting the gaps in after gluing a solid grip? If so, does this allow you to feel the full flex, in the hand, on say, a Driggs or other fuller flexing rods? I'm curious whether the cork glued to the blank, under the cuts would dampen the flexing. I should add, if not, then that would certainly make a ventilated grip easier to do. I've done just one, gluing each ring with spacers between, and that was time consuming.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I am cutting them in after. I chose to go 1 inch gaps. These are not deep enough to sense any flexing, but they could be cut deeper. these felt comfortable. BTW it's the PHY 275 Perfectionist taper, it feels like it always feels, nice!

kenwey4534
Guide

Post by kenwey4534 »

Jim what tool are you using for a cutter? I would think tearout would be an issue.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I cut it with this tool bit, I use this cutting tool for everything. Absolutely zero tearout.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Bob Summers does puts the ventilations in along the lines you describe. His gaps are a bit wider, and deep enough to look Young-like, but he leaves some cork at the arbor.
Looks very nice!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

jim royston wrote:
02/04/23 13:07
I liked the look of these, the way Paul Young did it, but I prefer to stack rings one on top the other and compress them a little. So I cut them in on my lathe with my crosslide.
I think the way you do it is the best. It allows the use of an expanding glue, like Gorilla glue, which otherwise would expand into the gaps left between corks. It also permits cutting the slots at any interval, not limited by the size of the corks.

The only Bob Summers rod with a ventilated grip which I have handled does have cork, not visible bamboo, at the bottom of the slots. The diameter in the depth of each slot looks as though there is only a very small layer of cork over the bamboo. I would expect the rod to flex in a similar manner to how it would if there were bare bamboo at the bottom.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”