Leonard Ressurection

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Low Profile
Guide

Leonard Ressurection

Post by Low Profile »

Picked up this at last Langs/Blanchards auction. Was a basket case and even worse when inspected back at the work shop. I'm not a professional rod builder or restorer but try my best. 6.5' 3pc post fire w/serial number. Looked like it had been subject to serious water damage, heat, and/or humidity. All sections had significant delamination but were straight and full length. The saving grace was the far end of each section was completely sound with perfect varnish so I didn't have a puzzle to put back together. After soaking guides in acetone turned out they were perfect with little to no line wear and zero corrosion. Well enough description and onto the before and after pics. I've yet to cast it but flexes nice and is straight. Couldn't save the ink so tried to replicate the serial number but not the owner name. All original except for the wraps, varnish, new ferrule pins, ink and winding check (it was cracked).

I guess this is one that can be added to the Leonard database as raised from the dead. Tried to research Mr. Peter Alealy (sp?) as scripted on rod but to no definite connection found.

Low Profile

red 1
Master Guide

Re: Leonard Ressurection

Post by red 1 »

Nice!
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Wow, outstanding save. Year and Model? Is that a "Fairy" then? Would love to see its catalogue page. That butt cap photo is absolutely lovely. Bravo.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Isn't it a joy when someone's dear old rod comes back to life? Work to be proud of sir!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”