Masterline Poly

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Masterline Poly

Post by canerodscom »

Hi friends

Have you tried the above names commercial grade polyurethane in rod making. We just did some floor work and there are a couple of gallons left. I hAte etc just dispose of it but thought I’d ask about other’s experiences.

Thanks
Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mduval
Guide

Re: Masterline Poly

Post by mduval »

canerodscom wrote:
02/06/23 10:59
Hi friends

Have you tried the above names commercial grade polyurethane in rod making. We just did some floor work and there are a couple of gallons left. I hAte etc just dispose of it but thought I’d ask about other’s experiences.

Thanks
Harry
Hi Harry,
I would not hesitate to use it on rods. Floor finishes are hard and durable and you won’t be walking on cane rods. Sure the best you’ll get is a water-resistant finish, but properly wiping and air drying a rod should have the finish last for years. Now, this comes from a rodmakers whose favorite rod finish is polyurethane glue, aka Gorilla Glue 🤷🏽‍♂️. I just use a different brand.
Two years ago I finished a rod with a hard oil floor finish (Osmo brand). The rod has been wet several times, but with proper care the finish is doing fine. Will it still be fine after 10/15 years? No idea, but it is the easiest finish to re-apply.

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Harry,
My experience, most urethane’s crack over the corners.

Din

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Don and Marcel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”