Edwards Mt Carmel

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Bobbythehunter

Edwards Mt Carmel

Post by Bobbythehunter »

I have an Edwards Mt. carmel in my hands right now. It's from a friends dad's collection. He passed about 15 years ago and I retrieved it from his cellar last year. It's an 8.5 foot three piece with two tips one of which is broken. I was wondering how common or rare these rods are and what an approximate value might be? Thnaks in advance. I saw on the list recently that it might be worth 400.00 but I certainly don't know how to judge condition on a rod like this.

8.5 feet long
3 pieces (2 tops. one tip broken but present)
all equal length
condition very good + using your guide.
only one small thread loose at mid section lower ferrule
original tube and sock

Thanks for any info and an approximate value if available
Sorry for the mediocre photos

I've added some additional photos of tube, reel seat end cap and some closeups of only obvious problem with guide wrap on stripper guide. It does appear to be well varnished but not sure when this was done.

bob

Last edited by Bobbythehunter on 02/22/23 11:09, edited 2 times in total.

Bobbythehunter

Re: Edwards Mt Carmel

Post by Bobbythehunter »

addition

the tip top is here. looks like maybe an inch broke off. this rod looks to be in great shape but maybe it's been re-finished. Can I fish a rod like this?

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

If you could post some pics someone could give you a value. Make sure the ferrules fit properly and there is no damage to the cane if you want to fish it. And check the guides to make sure they are all well attached so they don't fly off when you cast it. Good Luck.

Bobbythehunter

Post by Bobbythehunter »

photos added to original post

sorry for the double posting, not sure how to correct that

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Poor light in your photos makes it hard to see details of condition, but I get the impression of thick varnish. If that is correct, I expect the rod has been overcoated or revarnished at least. The reel seat matches the one on a 9' 3/2 Gene Edwards rod I once owned, but the Edwards family were known for a variety of components. The monetary value of your rod depends completely upon condition and lineage. My initial guess would be that it is a Gene Edwards rod based upon the reel seat and the "Edwards Mt. Carmel" inking, but that is just a guess in the absence of more details. Is there a stamping on the reel seat cap? Any tube and bag with legible label?

It should be a great rod to fish if ferrules fit well and there is no damage to the cane, and a professional rodmaker can repair that tip for you. Ferrules should be cleaned before assembly is tried. Use a little denatured alcohol on a piece of soft, clean cloth and a Q-tip for the inside of the females. Do not let the alcohol touch the varnish! If the rod does not go together smoothly after cleaning, do not force it. Take it to a professional rodmaker for help and an evaluation. Though I have no personal experience with him, William Abrams, a.k.a. "Streamer" in Connecticut kind of specializes on Edwards rods and would be a good guy to talk to for information. Dennis Menscer here in Hancock, NY does wonderful restoration and repair work and I can recommend him highly.

Patrick Garner's book "Playing with Fire" is the definitive work on the Edwards family of rodmakers and their rods. Published by Whitefish Press.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Addelliot

Post by Addelliot »

If you're in the New England area, Wm (Streamer) Abrams would be the right person to have a look at your Edwards. Streamer has extensive experience in Edwards rods, and is especially fond of the EW Edwards, Mt. Carmel Rods. He can be reached via Housatonic Rods. Good luck. These are wonderful rods.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”