All The Time in The World

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: All The Time in The World

Post by billems »

Hellmtflies wrote:
03/12/23 08:48
Well, I'm halfway through the new book. It seems to me that after the last couple of Gierach's books I thought he had lost his wonderful witty and comical edge. No longer. He's back and as edgy as ever. It's had been a while since he had me laughing aloud. Pleased to be refreshed with "All The Time in the World".
Glad to hear of it. I'll have to get a copy.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

In Ned’s Cove, the “Fort and Turd” paragraph, the rapids are referred to as Forth and Third. Forth is mentioned twice, Spelling errors?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

adkfan wrote:
03/16/23 13:47
In Ned’s Cove, the “Fort and Turd” paragraph, the rapids are referred to as Forth and Third. Forth is mentioned twice, Spelling errors?
No No No, it's the Canadian accent........:) How much of other of the comedy have you missed? :) Jeez....
Last edited by Hellmtflies on 03/17/23 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Hellmtflies wrote:
03/16/23 17:27
adkfan wrote:
03/16/23 13:47
No No No, it's the Canadian slang........:) How much of other of the comedy have you missed? :) Jeez....
No not the slang quip….I got that and mentioned it in my note. But when describing it after(and once before) he called it Forth and Third(third spelled correctly)

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

It’s just Gierach’s attempt to write down a Newfoundland accent.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

That makes sense except fourth and forth are pronounced the same and Third is spelled correctly…

thegreek
Sport

Post by thegreek »

I agree that John's new book is as clever and full of wanting to be there with him on his excursions as any of his other works. I taught in Alaska for a couple of years, so his ANIAK chapter brought back some fond memories, especially the cannibalizing of broken snow machines and 4-wheelers for parts to repair "sort of still working" machines: once something comes to Alaska, it never leaves.

Find a copy ... you will enjoy this fine read!

SalmonberryFinn

Post by SalmonberryFinn »

Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. Are you folks getting your signed copies from Mike Clark?

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

SalmonberryFinn wrote:
04/11/23 14:46
Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. Are you folks getting your signed copies from Mike Clark?
I bought my copy from Bob White, he will sketch a pic in it for you

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

A favorite line: “Old friends are here to remind us who we used to be.”

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

You have got to hand it to JG, despite repeating some old jokes, his latest publication demonstrates, after all these years, that he is still the best fly fishing writer going round. I especially liked the considerate and balanced approach he took to the encroaching COVID crisis throughout 2020/21. I was also struck by the constant observations made about the way in which climate change is having a detrimental impact on his favourite streams. The example set in the last few chapters, to try to only fish in his own back yard, is a very commendable one. Perhaps we should all give it a go.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PT48 wrote:
04/20/23 00:02
." The example set in the last few chapters, to try to only fish in his own back yard, is a very commendable one. Perhaps we should all give it a go."

I agree and I will, but I have a huge back yard. :)

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

You sure do Mark and you don't have to drive all that far to access it. Electric car?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PT48 wrote:
04/20/23 16:46
You sure do Mark and you don't have to drive all that far to access it. Electric car?
Yes sir. Without a doubt our next vehicle will be an EV. Funny, I started with a fully electric leaf blower and then a snow blower. I'll never go back to any other type. With the snowblower and a foot or more of snow I can complete my driveway, my neighbor's driveway and the entire sidewalk for the whole block on one charge. The recharge only takes about twenty or so minutes. I go have a cup of coffee and by the time I'm done I can go back out and clear a couple more driveways. And it's fun! :)

Return to “Book Talk”