Who made this rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

TBaron

Who made this rod

Post by TBaron »

Can anyone help me find out who made this rod? Sorry they are blurry, i used my phone.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Who made this rod

Post by steeliefool »

Imposible to tell without proper pictures and description.
Could be a rare Winchester "Wandrod" or a $2 barrel from Joe's hardware store. We're smart but not wizzards.

TBaron

Post by TBaron »

Here are a few more pics, hopefully, they help. The rod is 8'9" in length. I replaced the reel seat, grip and winding check. The reel seat had a wooden cylinder section that was probably 4" long that was glued to the rod. It has black guides and tip. I was hoping the spiral wraps would give it away, even under the guides. Deep maroon guide wraps with gold and red spiral wraps. The tip section is original, I believe it must have been a spare section used very little as it is in pretty good shape still, no sets in section. There was zero information on the butt section and the gentleman who gave it to me said it must be 40+ years old. Thanks for any information.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

The spiral wraps are typical of an Occupied Japan made rod, a so called "GI" rod, as are the ferrules.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

Somebody wasted a fair amount of time and effort redoing the butt of this rod, and perhaps the upper two sections as well. At least they got some practice. Looks like they need it.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I agree that this looks like a Japanese GI rod, they make great wall hangers and someone did put some time in dressing it up but without a logo on the lower butt its hard establish any kind of history.

TBaron

Post by TBaron »

bamboo rodley wrote:
03/01/23 18:57
Somebody wasted a fair amount of time and effort redoing the butt of this rod, and perhaps the upper two sections as well. At least they got some practice. Looks like they need it.
Well I am new to fly rod building and I don't have all the fancy tools. This is my first attempt at refurbishing a bamboo rod so I am doing the best I can with what I know and have to work with. I was just hoping someone could tell me who made the rod. Thank you for your comment.

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

TBaron wrote:
03/02/23 21:30
bamboo rodley wrote:
03/01/23 18:57
Well I am new to fly rod building and I don't have all the fancy tools. This is my first attempt at refurbishing a bamboo rod so I am doing the best I can with what I know and have to work with. I was just hoping someone could tell me who made the rod. Thank you for your comment.
It's impossible to tell who made the rod really. A couple of closeup pictures of the ferrules would be helpful as they are likely the only remaining original components? Maybe the tip tops too. Nevermind the disparaging remarks, keep at it. You'll likely find that you can get by with out all the fancy tools but you'll get them anyway. :rollin

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

Sorry for my remarks. You did not say that you had done the work on the rod, or I would have kept my thoughts to myself. I agree that you should keep at it, and again apologize for my remarks.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”