Ruffed Grouse

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

sanderson
Master Guide

Re: Ruffed Grouse

Post by sanderson »

So, not a ruffed grouse story, but a couple weeks ago I was hunting pheasant in SD, later in the season, all wild birds. We're working a field of milo, maybe 15 of us, 8 walkers, the rest flanking and blocking. Our group gets together once a year for this hunt, a friend owns and operates a lodge and 3-4000 acres. About 30 of us hunt each year, all have hunted 40+ years, none are total idiots, some are close. We have a kitty for anyone that shoots a hen, $200, no trial or inquiry. If a hen is picked up, by anyone, the shooter pays. Also, it's typical for hunters to shout "hen" or "rooster" when a bird flushes. However, in this group, if "rooster" is shouted, and it's a hen, and someone shoots it, the shooter pays. There is no accessory defense. We're walking this field, right in front of me, one of the dogs flushes a bird, I'm in the middle of the walking line, I shout "hen", guys on both sides of me shout "hen", the bird flushes to the right, the guy flanking ahead on the right shoots, bird drops, his dog retrieves it, and we walk out the field. At the end of the field, we approach the guy to see the bird, thinking we've got a $200 donation to the nights kitty. Kevin, the shooter, pulls out,.....a sharp tail grouse! In it's range but we've never seen one flush from a field of milo or corn here in SD. Kevin said when he shot, he was only 50% confident it was a grouse, he shot because of the tail, much shorter than a hen pheasants. Kevin had been trying to get one of these for several years, hunting in Illinois, and infrequently, in SD. His intuition was right!

SalmoNewf
Guide

Post by SalmoNewf »

Another double gun, Holland and Holland Dominion, built as a 2” 12ga in 1935 with a set of 20ga barrels added in 1991.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Miss the grouse hunting up north, but you make do with what you have.

I've managed to hit five vultures on the wing with my nerf gun so far. A little ashamed to admit, I've shot a bunch while they were sitting on my roof or in trees.

Think they enjoy it more than I do, they sit there and watch the nerf darts go by. Sometimes they even duck.

No Holland and Holland, but nerf makes a darn nice gun.

Turkey hunting would be good in my backyard, but I enjoy seeing them more chasing with my nerf gun.

tomimc1
Sport

Post by tomimc1 »

Grouse..an interesting affliction….I’ve been supporting RGS and buying up raffle tickets here and there and lighting actually struck last month when I found out I won a Savage Fox A Grade in 20ga in one of the many I’ve entered over the years. Shot it a bit, actually enjoy it more than an O/U and shoot it just as well on sporting clays, so did a little horse trading, parted ways with a couple 12’s to bring home a second 20 sxs, this one a nice little RIzzini I ran across online.

Is it October yet?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thumbs Up! Good on ya! I love Side by Sides but I can't hit a gosh darn thing with them. :) Hope your better at it than I.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

They're both handsome shotguns...

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

I'm shooting sporting clays these days to improve my shotgunning and I purchased my 1st over/under (in many years now) for just that application a few short years ago. A modern gun that has been designed for my southpaw needs and is very heavy (to sop-up all that recoil). I wouldn't have credited it but...I clearly hit better with that gun on clays. I still prefer a side-by-side to hunt with and when a gun fits me well (& my eyes aren't a challenge) I think they are simply perfection, "a thing of beauty and a joy forever" as the old advertising line goes (I believe Keats said it first).

dnester
Sport

Re:SUPERPOSED SUPERLIGHT BROWNING 12 gauge- v.good Ruffed Grouse

Post by dnester »

Reading Grouse posts.
Grouse Hunter my entire life , now 78 years old and realized the truth , strong legs and good mobility are the most important factors contributing
to being a successful Grouse hunter. Excellent Dogs and good companions make it enjoyable.

All my Grouse hunting buddies are deceased. Takes enjoyment of looking forward to upcoming Season and trips we would have accomplished.
SELLING MY PERSONAL GROUSE GUN .

Browning Superposed SUPERLIGHT - 12 gauge - 26" barrels -IC / Mod-- BELGIUM MANUFACTURED - weight under 7 pounds . Manuf. 1968. First SUPERLIGHT offered with Superlight Model & Straight stock ?
First SUPERLIGHT BROWNING , has Solid Rib. Superlight was offered with STRAIGHT STOCK .. Wood is truly EXHIBITION GRADE WOOD ++!
Price : $ 1900. 00 - Hazleton , Pa
A shotgun that is truly beautiful , functional and has tremendous eye appeal. Brownings answer to a True Lightweight UPLAND Shotgun .

Superposed SUPERLIGHT is visible in photo !

Dan Nester
570 947 7666
Hazleton , Pa

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Sadly, that day comes for us all. I'm hoping my son will (someday) pick up my scattergun and remember me when he's walking a fine grouse trail on a beautiful Fall day (as do I every time I go out. I have lots of conversations with family & old hunting buddies, all now long-gone). But... it doesn't really matter because my guns and my hunting are purely for my pleasure now. You can only hope that whoever ends up with your personal favorite, he (or her I suppose?) realizes just how spectacular that weapon is in their hands just now. I certainly do, everytime I close a fine action on a pair of good shells and set off from my truck, senses on high-alert and filled with hope for the next adventure to come. My heart sings at that moment.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”