BRUCE HANDLEY PASSING

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

bamrod77
Guide

BRUCE HANDLEY PASSING

Post by bamrod77 »

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Bruce Handley this morning, April 24, 2023.
Many of you have known Bruce for his activity on the board and expert advice he offered concerning rod restoration and identification.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: BRUCE HANDLEY PASSING

Post by cwfly »

Walt,
Sad indeed. He was one of the very, very best.
Rest in peace, Mr. Handley and my condolences to his family.
Charlie

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

Oh, that is sad news. We had many conversations (emails) over the years and had always hoped to get back to the NE corner of NY to fish with him. Another shining light on the board is extinguished.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Very sad news.

RIP, Bruce, and my deepest condolences to his loved ones.

Kenneth

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

So sad to hear about Bruce. Prayers for his family and friends. Bruce was a great guy and always ready to discuss,chat, and share his knowledge and experience. He will be sorely missed.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Yes, very sad news indeed. His legacy will live on through his posts on this forum. RIP Bruce and may your rod always have trout on the end of your line.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Here is piece on Bruce that I found on the Internet https://suncommunitynews.com/news/72031 ... e-handley/

Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 04/24/23 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

I am so saddened to hear this. He was such a fine man and a terrific rod restorer! I met him in person years ago at the bamboo bash he was quite a character, we both shared a love for adopting older dogs :) RIP Bruce, you will be missed!

JerryG
Sport

Post by JerryG »

Walt,
So sorry to hear of Bruce's passing. He was a great man. I have many fond memories of being with him over our many years. I will miss him & know that all who knew Bruce will miss him as well. He was always friendly & shared his knowledge. My condolences to his family.
Jerry

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Thank you, Walt. Does Mark know there's going to be an empty bed next salmon trip?
I can only second, or third or whatever, what everybody's saying in remembrance. He lived what I consider to be a good life, acquiring a lot of friends, a lot of rods, his share of project rods, his share of fish, and an old dog or two along the way. I hadn't seen him in over ten years but we saw each other here at the board. He was good company and never boring.
My condolences to Carla, the missus. May be small comfort at this moment but there's quite a group of Bruce's friends ready to help should she think of reaching out for it.
RIP, Bruce.
Now you can suit up and play hockey again, doctor's orders notwithstanding.

drbaits
Master Guide

Post by drbaits »

Rest in peace, Bruce. I will miss our interactions and your willingness to share your knowledge. You were such a good man.

John

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I will miss talking to Bruce on the phone about rods, tackle history, vacuum tubes and other esoterica. I never had a chance to meet him in person but he was a true friend. RIP Bruce.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Yes, this definitely is very sad news. Bruce was not only one of the good guys, but one of the great guys, always ready to assist others. Our community is certainly smaller in many ways due to his passing. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P., Bruce!

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

A very polite man, and a great counselor; my sincere condolences to his family.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Bruce was a wonderful and generous person. He'll be missed.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Bruce was a valued contributor to this forum.

Dustnstuff
Guide

Post by Dustnstuff »

I'm so sorry to hear the news of his passing. He will be missed. I remember all the time I spent with Bruce at the Lang's auction.
My condolences to the family.
Dustnstuff

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Post by Carlson Rod »

Sorry to hear this. Like many here, I knew Bruce for a lot of years.
I can still picture (and hear) him parked at Bob Corsetti's space across from me at the old Lang's shows where he, Dave Howell, Walt, et al would sit and look over new acquisitions to the rod collections.
Thanks for posting.
RIP Bruce.
Dana

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Thanks for posting the news.

Bruce will be missed, I had so many great phone calls with him. I referred to him as my "favorite rocket scientist" as he had great stories from working on the rocket programs in Florida, after his stint in the USAF. He refered to himself as a dinosaur, he couldn't stand the smart phone, yet spent his employment years in technology. Carla was called on for tech support often, and he was always amazed at what she did regularly with technology.

We shared common events in our lives, his experience was valued. Our conversations wandered from restoration, to history, to fishing stories, to hockey and of course his beloved rescue dogs. We finally met up on the Battenkill in Vermont, toured the AMFF and Orvis together and had some great meals and conversations.

My thoughts go to Carla and his family. RIP Bruce

A picture from 2018 on the Battenkill, Bruce in a discussion with Rupert and David

bamrod77
Guide

Post by bamrod77 »

Two old friends now to meet again. Click on photo to enlarge.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

My sincere condolences to Bruce's many bamboo friends and his family.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Return to “Forum Announcements”