Heddon refinished.

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

lepirate
Sport

Heddon refinished.

Post by lepirate »

Hi all,
bought a Heddon 125 Expert here in the U.K. It looked pretty much unfished, the tube was worn but the cork and fittings looked virtually unused, unfortunately th varnish was in a bit of a state, soft and badly bag rashed. My question is. I have had the rod restored by a rather good U.K. rod builder, all original fittings but re wrapped and re varnished and it looks quite good, have I de-valued it? I know it is not particularly collectable but just curious.. Best regards all,
Dave.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: Heddon refinished.

Post by Woodlakejag »

No. for a relatively common rod like a 9 ft 125 you may have increased the value by a bit, but you also may have spent more on the refinish than the rod is worth. That’s the main issue with refinishing rods of lesser value, the cost isn’t worth it.
If you plan on fishing with it, the refinish was a good idea.
George
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

What is the length of the rod? Heddon's varnish often has softened and without revarnishing it, it would be unfishable. It is one of the higher Heddon grades.

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

From the for what it's worth department..The value of the rod is much improved when I return a nice rod to working order and that includes the aesthetics as well. Getting the finish back in shape also protects the wrap threads as well as the bamboo. I think a good quality "blue collar" rod, such as your Heddon that will last you a lifetime an also looks as well as it did originally, will validate your investment and make your soul smile every time you put it on the water..Congratulations, in my opinion you have a great piece of fishing equipment!! BTW, I also own a 125 along with several other Heddon rods..Love them!!

Nathan

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

It’s worth more now but unless you got the rod for free you are almost certainly into it more than it’s worth. Which is just fine if you love fishing it and intend to hold onto it. Way better than a new graphite rod that devalues 50% the moment you buy it.

John

lepirate
Sport

Post by lepirate »

Thanks for the replies, 9ft two tip rod. total cost so far is about $230 and is now pretty immaculate with a beautiful finish. Not really concerned about current value as all my fly gear goes to granddaughter when I'm gone.. A good excuse for getting more.. :D

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Miller Scottish wrote:
05/06/23 01:32
The rod's worth has probably not changed all that much since it was brought back to its former state.

Since it looks better than before, its worth might even have increased.
The rod had a varnish meltdown so there is no question a revarnish increased its value. Rods with full-on Heddon varnish meltdown are project rods / aren’t fishable.

lepirate
Sport

Post by lepirate »

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Ferrule sizes?
One of Heddon's tapers has a tendency to break just below the mid/tip ferrule. Also, 125s are thought
be fitted with lesser ferrules which may crack.
One of the prettier Heddon trades, just fish it carefully with the above in mind.
Cheers.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Nice looking #125. I hope you put it to use often before the granddaughter inherits it and has a lot of tall tales to tell about it's family history. Worth more than cash, IMHO.

I too found a #125 in need of TLC. Mine came with the Heddon rubber baby bottle stopper tube/factory rod bag and was crying for help. An 8'0" 3 piece rod, requiring much more than just a refinish. I too had it put back to like new with two new tips plus gold Japaned guides bought long ago from Dick Spurr.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

You made a good move. I have 4 Heddon rods. fish them all the time. Love em.

All the Best,
bamboo....mike

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

That is a pretty rod that will be an excellent fisher!

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

bamboo wrote:
05/24/23 08:55
You made a good move. I have 4 Heddon rods. fish them all the time. Love em.

All the Best,
bamboo....mike
+1

I have 5 Heddon rods and they all get fished.
Brian

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”