Balancing Rod&Reel

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Phil13
Guide

Balancing Rod&Reel

Post by Phil13 »

MattZilliox wrote:
Webfly wrote:I betcha 75%+ casters prefer the rod to be more balanced than not...I'm in the camp that I don't understand why someone wouldn't...and I know old school carpenters that definitely prefer a balanced hammer...
Yeah. Hammers and cricket bats already are balanced.

And when a rod feels tip heavy, use a slightly larger reel. 15 to 20g makes a huge difference. The Golden hardy instead of the regular could be enough. This happened on my 8'3" 4wt blackburn. Ever so slightly tip heavy. Put the heavier version of the same reel (featherweight) on and no tip heaviness. Neato!

And if you don't notice a reel at all, cool, be happy small details don't
Last edited by Phil13 on 05/24/23 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

MattZilliox
Guide

Re: Balancing Rod&Reel

Post by MattZilliox »

I can add this to the talk. Im not interested in casting efficiency, adding distance, blah blah blah. im only even thinking about balance in terms of being with the setup on the river all day. its not like selecting the correctly balanced reel adds anything to casting mechanics, its that i feel and therefore fish better when the setup is pleasing. its really that simple. this particular rod felt better with a heavier reel, if im imagining that, it hardly matters right?

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Webfly wrote:
05/24/23 08:01
I betcha 75%+ casters prefer the rod to be more balanced than not...I'm in the camp that I don't understand why someone wouldn't...and I know old school carpenters that definitely prefer a balanced hammer...
Ach, that hammer thing, sooo not analogous -- carpenters or other tool users do not hold a hammer out in front of them waiting for a riser to strike. I don't care too much about balance when casting, but holding a rod in front while fishing will indeed make me care.
Last edited by Flykuni3 on 05/25/23 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

will put in my 2 cents on balance of a rod ,reel and line. Most seem to forget you spend most of your fishing time with the line out of the rod tip. I hate to be fighting to hold the rod tip up all day and try for a level or slightly tip high balance with the average length of line you expect to fish out in current and not all on reel. maybe its weakness but I find it tiring to my wrist to be holding tip up all day long. Daryl

Gnat
Sport

Post by Gnat »

I agree, it is the "fishing time" and fighting to hold the rod tip up that causes much of the arm strain when a rod is out of balance and tip heavy.
Last edited by Gnat on 05/26/23 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Wow!

So I gather from all these responses that our forefathers that used 12-14 foot rods that weighed pounds not ounces, balanced with a dinky 2 1/2” reel must have had arms that were made of steel! Granted they didn’t wave their arms around like we do. Or is it we have become less vigorous?

Richard, the Fishn’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Ya But, our grandads also used asbestos-infused face coverings, painted with lead-based paint, smoked unfiltered Camels and Luckies, and never wore ear protection, what did you say?

Gnat
Sport

Post by Gnat »

I've also wondered about 12-14 foot rods used in the past. I imagine these were used with a two-handed casting and fishing style, rather than the one-handed casting and fishing style that I use.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Gnat wrote:
05/26/23 07:01
I've also wondered about 12-14 foot rods used in the past. I imagine these were used with a two-handed casting and fishing style, rather than the one-handed casting and fishing style that I use.
A generalization:

Actually very little casting as we know it was done back then, as far as trout fishing in NA. Wet fly tandem rigs and worms were the norm, until the dry fly revolution. As far as the Spey Style of casting, two handed that is, salmon and sea trout were the focus across the pond and the salmon rivers of Canada.

Poking the bear: the Pendulum Effect

Random Casts

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Random Casts wrote:
05/25/23 10:59
Wow!

So I gather from all these responses that our forefathers that used 12-14 foot rods that weighed pounds not ounces, balanced with a dinky 2 1/2” reel must have had arms that were made of steel! Granted they didn’t wave their arms around like we do. Or is it we have become less vigorous?

Have you ever seen or heard an old Homelite or McCulloch chainsaw that our Grandad's used???

Oh, and a Vom Hofe salmon reel was not a dinky little reel.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I had a Homelite 770G - 1950's green and red monster with a 24" bar that weighed twice as much as my XL12. In my early 30's it was a wood eating unit that made my arms rubber bands after a few hours. Sold it. When "men were men" applies to that. At 67 no thanks!
Fishing my first bamboo rods after using fiberglass of course in the standard 9' length was a learning curve and there was a "light bulb" moment when realizing that a heavier reel reduced the wrist and forearm strain that likely is what a lot of folks complained about transitioning to bamboo from graphite or glass. I don't see why you wouldn't want to balance your rod/reel as it does become an extension of your arm and fighting the rod all day detracts from why you have it in your hand in the first place.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Webfly wrote:
05/26/23 07:58
No it isn’t. However I don’t believe it was part of the gear employed by the fellows that took the train from the City, hired a buckboard to take them to their favorite rivers, used horse hair lines and fished out most of the Catskill rivers of brook trout. I could be wrong. Another generalization.

Balance is a matter of personal choice: two or three maraschino cherries in my Manhattan, one or two ice cubes in my Henry McKenna, new or vintage Martin guitar, over and under or side by side shotgun, Brittany Spaniel or English Setter, it goes on and on. Who really cares except the person making the choice. And quite frankly, who are we to judge.

Richard, the unbalanced Fishn’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

Phil13
Guide

Post by Phil13 »

Random Casts wrote:
Webfly wrote:
05/26/23 07:58
No it isn’t. However I don’t believe it was part of the gear employed by the fellows that took the train from the City, hired a buckboard to take them to their favorite rivers, used horse hair lines and fished out most of the Catskill rivers of brook trout. I could be wrong. Another generalization.

Balance is a matter of personal choice: two or three maraschino cherries in my Manhattan, one or two ice cubes in my Henry McKenna, new or vintage Martin guitar, over and under or side by side shotgun, Brittany Spaniel or English Setter, it goes on and on. Who really cares except the person making the choice. And quite frankly, who are we to judge.

Richard, the unbalanced Fishn’ Pole Image
Agree! Social media. a judgment free zone. As it started and as it shall remain forever!
Image YMMV…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I like your sentiments Richard and it's hard to contest your analogies. My response was directly related to the initial post regarding the pros and cons of matching the reel to the rod, and as you well stated, it all boils down to what lights your fire. I'm not sensing any judgmental themes though - only opinions, and echoing your take on it...everyone has one.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

zabo wrote:
05/16/23 06:23
My opinion on this matter: I don't believe in the formula "balancing rod&reel", but I always look for the lightest reel that's capable enough to hold a specific line size. So that's how I usually select a reel, very simple.
That’s pretty much where I am on this. Grab a reel and go.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

See you all at the next rod balancing debate in a couple of months!

boo4life

Post by boo4life »

If balance doesn't matter, why did Abel make and sell a balance arm ?

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

boo4life wrote:
05/27/23 21:40
If balance doesn't matter, why did Abel make and sell a balance arm ?
And how many did they sell?

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Webfly wrote:
05/27/23 08:14
I will not be there. I’ve already made plans to attend the USPS one.😀😀

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

PYochim wrote:
05/28/23 06:38
Webfly wrote:
05/27/23 08:14
I will not be there. I’ve already made plans to attend the USPS one.😀😀
:rollin

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”