Balancing Rod&Reel

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Balancing Rod&Reel

Post by LeeO »

I pay zero attention to balance and that includes fishing big 8 weight rods for days on end
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Fly fishing as a sport or hobby is full of gadgets and gizmos.(Buyer beware) You as a consumer must decide what works for you and what
is necessary or not necessary for you to enjoy whatever level of the sport or hobby you choose to pursue.

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

I went fishing for almost seven straight hours on Thursday. I had a much too light CFO III on my Orvis 8 foot 4 1/8oz. I never even noticed that it wasn't balanced until I thought about it. Then I went back to fishing and didn't care.

On the other hand, when I used to frequently fish with a five plus ounce, 8.5 foot rod, a light reel bothered my forearm after a while.

I have concluded that, for me, for a light rod 8 feet and under, I don't care about balance and actually prefer the casting feel of a light reel.

There are just too many factors for there to be an objective answer to the balance question, including rod length, weight, action, wrist and forearm strength and, maybe most importantly, personal preference.

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

Find someone with 3 3/8 Perfect and a 3 5/8 Perfect. Try them both on the rod. Then pick. Depending on the rod, I’ll use either or. Don’t forget the Princess, it is a nice reel.

MNJoe
Sport

Post by MNJoe »

To me balancing the rod and reel was important when I was swinging flies with a Spey rod not a single hand rod. With the Spey rod, I had too light a reel so too much weight was fulcrumed on the index finger and it was wearing. I think this is a unique situation where you spend 90% of the time holding rod horizontal and close to water surface. I had other Spey rods and reels better balanced and never felt the fatigue. I could measure where fulcrum was and it was way forward on shorter rod. This was more about me trying to use a reel I wanted vs making an effort to balance. Again no situation with single handed rods where weight affected my fishing, to my knowledge

MNJoe

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”