Lords of the Fly - Monte Burke

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

mlarocco
Master Guide

Lords of the Fly - Monte Burke

Post by mlarocco »

Lords of the Fly provides historical insights into a small, dedicated (obsessed) fly fishers seeking large tarpon in Florida. While the book makes mention of keys fishing, it is primarily focused on Homosassa region. It is not a book about techniques or gear, but does mention the latter whie developing the narrative (more on bamboo later).

Many characters inhabit the pages, so if you want juicy gossip on people like Thomas McGuane, Russell Chatham and Jim Harrison it's there to add color. The personalities of fly fishing legends like Stu Apte, Lefty Kreh and Billy Pate are analyzed. Lefty Kreh is vilanized for leaking the 'secret' location to build up his own image in the fly fishing community. Burke also develops the personalities of the guides that made it all possible. Paying guide salaries for extended days on the water is only available to affluent sports who not only have money, but have the time.

I found the large egos, competition and gossipy pettiness a story that could be developed in any endeavor involving groups of people. There is a section of 'fishing' stories, that are mini 'Old Man and the Sea' encounters with monster fish. Embellished or not, entertaining at the bar after a long day of fishing.

The book indicates that the first documented fly caught tarpon were in the late 19th century. They were small, being less than 5 lbs. It does talk about the evolution of the tackle from the post war 40's to the 80's, blaming bamboo fly rods as the major factor limiting people's ability to land monster tarpon. But than Burke interviews people who were there that indicate fly lines and fly reels (drags) were the biggest issue. Ted Jurrasic's contribution (via Billy Pate) is given plenty of ink, from his European childhood fleeing the Nazi's to meeting Billy Pate to Tibor Reels. My limited fly fish for jumbo tarpon,I'd say lines shredding, fly reels with inadequate drags and graphite rods that blow up under the pressure are all points of failure.

Burke mentions that fiberglass impregnated bamboo rods were developed to bolster the strength of tho bamboo rods. I have not seen any collector own up to owning one of those rods.

Burke glosses over the environmental demise of the area (one chapter about development and the loss the the blue crab population) and mentions some of the participants trying to fish Africa's monster tarpon (no mention of Costa Rica).

I found the book interesting history and enjoyed reading it. I did not find it entertaining in the way of Gierach.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Lords of the Fly - Monte Burke

Post by 16pmd »

Outstanding book, very well researched and written. Though I've only fished for tarpon a few times, I think he captured the energy, drive and personalities in the competitive culture of big time tarpon fishing. Very different from the trout fishing world, but a fascinating and very entertaining look into another side of fly fishing. One of the best fly fishing books I've read in a long time. For anyone who's interested in that branch of fly fishing, Andy Mill's "Millhouse" podcasts are another great documentary on the history and legendary characters of the Florida tarpon world.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Very different from the trout fishing world
My guess is that the people that compete to be on the US Fly Fishing team and ultimately fish the international competition are driven by many of the same 'needs' as the ultra competitive tarpon fishermen.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Just finished, what a great book, yet a very sad documentary of mankind ruining another good thing. I look at some of the subject characters in a different light than I have in the past and I don't understand the obsession with world records to the point of destruction from every angle, including relationships and human interaction.

Some of the main reasons that I have made this in to a life long hobby is due to companionship and the fact that I have never looked at it as a competition.

Jersey boy
Sport

Post by Jersey boy »

Next to trout, tarpon are my favorite. Though I strive to do my best (and often fail) I've never looked at any fishing as competition or had any interest in that. It's not the size or number of fish, it's the experience. Seeing a group of these ancient fish rolling at dawn is a breathtaking experience. Witnessing a tarpon chase down your fly and grab it two rod lengths from the boat will get your heart pumping. Then comes the first big jump followed by the first long run. It's sight fishing at its best. Even today, there is a lot we don't know about tarpon, including their migration patterns.

Based on these reviews, I will check out this book. I had the pleasure of hanging out with Lefty several times and he was always so positive, warm and engaging and always willing to help people. Endearingly rough around the edges, he was an excellent instructor. He was sometimes criticized apparently for his ability to "cast all the line they sold ya." Loyal readers know he was a skilled trout fisherman and he often wrote about the importance of a quiet, stealthy approach and the need to minimize drag. He pointed to the George Harvey leader formula and explained in detail how to tune tippet for the right about of "sine waves" to reduce micro drag. He had strong, detailed opinions on gear. I was chuckling the other day while looking at one of his knot books and came across instructions on how to tie sneaker laces so they don't come undone in the boat—classic Lefty. He lived an incredible life devoted to fly fishing and teaching others.

Fishing in many places may not be what it once was, but we can still catch tarpon on the fly. I highly recommend tarpon fishing to anyone who hasn't tried it. All of my tarpon fishing has been around Key West. Hooking one of these magnificent fish in the Marquesas is a peak experience.

Mitch

Return to “Book Talk”