Gierach's "All the Time in the World."

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Gierach's "All the Time in the World."

Post by billems »

John Gierach is the best writer in the sport. No question. But the Trout Bum became a success, and some of his later stories involving private water, ritzy lodges, and locales that plebians like myself will never see, sometimes left me a bit sad and missing the bum. There is a story in his new book--I don't have it with me so forgot the chapter--where he addresses the matter, and though i can't quote him, he acknowledges that he's sometimes gone out of his element. Just that little confession warmed me back up to him. What a fine writer, essayist, sportsman is John Gierach.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Gierach's "All the Time in the World."

Post by PYochim »

I can’t imagine fishing like a high roller on private waters and upscale lodges and then presenting myself as a “bum.” Must be difficult.

liketofish
Guide

Post by liketofish »

He's still a friend to trout and those who like to poke holes in their mouths. "Bum" is a loose word, no need to take it the harshest way. When we can't fish, it's fun to read about it, and certainly JG (who, despite the "JG", I've never met or will) gets some points for his writing on bamboo, and his loyalty to it. How many others, "relics from the past" or whatever, have now signed on with graphite firms? Many. I vote for JG, and forgive any momentary lapse of perspective by anybody.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I see nothing wrong with a man who turned an ability to write about fly fishing into not just an occupation but made good living and achieved fame doing it. He is the ultimate Trout bum. "Bum" is not a derogatory term. It is a way of life for some people; however, 99% of those people struggle financially. Gierach found a lucrative way to support his bumming, and he does it with gracious and entertaining aplomb.

I'm also a real fan of the famous extreme skier Glen Plake. He's the guy with the crazy 2 foot high brightly colored and flattened mohawk hair style. He also found a way to make a living bumming, by skiing. He's the ultimate ski bum and has starred in many ski movies.

Can you imagine making a good living doing this every day? Oh man, count me in!

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Don't remember Gierach fishing like a high roller in his early works. He's paid his dues, inspired a lot of people along the way and deserves whatever benefits he gets from being so well known for his works. He's brought lots of enjoyable reading to those of us who can't live the life he has. More power to him and as always looking forward to his next book.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

DrLogik wrote:
05/14/23 20:46
Can you imagine making a good living doing this every day? Oh man, count me in!

Maybe I’m nuts but I would not trade my career for either of those.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Wonderful photo of JG DrLogik. Interesting to note that he casts and winds with the same hand.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

The book 'Trout Bum' was published in 1986 helping to establish JG's career as a writer. In many of his early woks he mentions making financial choices to support his hobby (like driving a beater truck to afford a couple of bamboo fly rods). There are many people in the fly fishing industry that would rather spend their hard earned $ on a fishing trip than a prestigious car or home (he never had a family). Many fishing journalists deduct their trip costs as a business expense.

I enjoy reading his stories.

An acquaintance I know recently had a grandson (actually his daughter did most of the work). I told him children are there for old men. Who else is going to say 'Grandpa, can I hear the story about you saving grandma from the chipmunk again'. I think if John Gierach told a story about saving a woman from a chipmunk it would be requested to be heard many times, laughing harder each time it was recited.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

mlarocco wrote:
05/16/23 09:36
In many of his early woks he mentions making financial choices to support his hobby (like driving a beater truck to afford a couple of bamboo fly rods).
I drove a beater so I could help pay for med school.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I drove a beater so I could help pay for med school.
Very respectable profession (as is being a well received writer). I will take a WAG and say JG's best year of book publishing to a niche market generated income half of a successful medical doctor. Certainly, better than his early days in Colorodo that contributed to the Trout Bum collection.

Thomas McGuane, as a novelist, probably generated much larger income. I recently re-read some of 'The Longest Silence' stories. IMO: McGuane's essays reflect the content of all too many magazine articles. When you are done reading the story I was left with the feeling that McGaune was simply looking for an excuse to tell people about an extremely big fish he caught. I don't get that feeling from most of JG's short stories.

Variant
Sport

Post by Variant »

I enjoy Gierach’s books very much.
Through his career we have seen him evolve as a writer and as a fly fisherman. I also have a few early books on audio which Gierach read himself which I listen to every once in a while.

Lou
In sport, method is everything. The more the skill the method calls for, the higher its yield of emotional stir and satisfaction, the higher its place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values . RODERICK HAIG - BROWN

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I wouldn't trade my life for JG either, but what working stiff who's struggling to support a family, and who endures all of the pressures that go with it, doesn't fantasize about doing nothing but fish all day or dropping everything and taking a trip across the country to chase trout? I wouldn't give up the fruits of my own labors, or my wife and children to be a true trout bum, but it's fun to read about it. Good for him that he found success while entertaining us.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Funny how people who wouldn't want his life retire and upend their lives entirely to chase fish.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

GRASSNGLASS wrote:
05/17/23 12:05
Funny how people who wouldn't want his life retire and upend their lives entirely to chase fish.
What’s wrong with that?

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

A lot of this just proves that a fundamental tenant of life is about choices and how those choices steer us. I heard a truism lately that said it very nicely, "A goal without a plan is a dream." I suspect the most successful among us understand that and plan accordingly.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

My best friend in the world started off guiding in Wyo and Montana, moved on to Alaska, Chile, Little Cayman in the off season, among others. He then owned a fly shop in Saratoga, Wyo, sold that and now reps 10+ companies in the industry and spends his winters in Louisiana catching Reds and then the Keys fishing for all of the salt species. I have a career with a pension and 401k, a wife with the same and a 22 year old son that just graduated and has his ME and an MBA. We BOTH envy each others life, but are very happy with the one that we have. Thankfully I do have 5 weeks vacation to get my fix!

RSW
Sport

Post by RSW »

I have always enjoyed Gierach’s style of writing and since his home water is my home water can relate to his prose. His latest book is no exception. It immortalized the pandemics effects on his choices.
Randy

Mead, CO.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Let's not fool ourselves, writing to the scale he has to carve out the life he has is hard work. Never begrudge anyone making money doing what they love and working hard at it.

Personally I've always have like all of his books too. I find him much more interesting because his books have ebbed and flowed with his lifestyle rather than remaining cookie cutter.

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

Drossi wrote:
05/23/23 13:28
Let's not fool ourselves, writing to the scale he has to carve out the life he has is hard work. Never begrudge anyone making money doing what they love and working hard at it.

Personally I've always have like all of his books too. I find him much more interesting because his books have ebbed and flowed with his lifestyle rather than remaining cookie cutter.
Yup, what he said.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

I enjoyed the book. I had the opportunity to fish with John, Ed Engle and AK Best a free years ago in Montana. AK had brought his papers to the Bud Lilly Collection and I had the opportunity of showing them the Madison and a side branch off the Madison. John hooked and landed a brown pulling a wooly bugger. It was a cold and windy spring day

Return to “Book Talk”