The Venerable Fly Tyers: Adventures in Fishing and Hunting

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

chsparkman
Master Guide

The Venerable Fly Tyers: Adventures in Fishing and Hunting

Post by chsparkman »

This book has been shared on this forum in the past but I thought it would be good to address it once again.

Dave Jankowski, the author, is the lead instructor for Bamboo Bend, and organization that invites eight veterans a year to come and spend a week in a lodge on the Au Sable in Michigan and learn to build their own bamboo fly rod. Each student leaves with their own bamboo rod which will be a source of pride and fishing enjoyment for years to come. "Hand Crafted Healing" is our motto. Dave is an accomplished rod maker in his own right.

Rod Jenkins illustrated the book. Rod is also an instructor at Bamboo Bend and is essentially Dave's executive officer. Rod uses a Garrison binder to glue up all of the students' rods and they come out so straight that some of us suspect that he sold his soul to the devil! Rod's rods are unsurpassed in quality.

"The Venerable Fly Tyers" is a delightful book of short and humorous stories that will be difficult to put down once started. It's a good one to have by your easy chair and pick up for a quick charge of fishing nostalgia that is sure to evoke your own memories of engaging in the fly fishing activities that we all love.

I could not recommend this book more.

Chris Sparkman
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

DeepDrawn

Re: The Venerable Fly Tyers: Adventures in Fishing and Hunting

Post by DeepDrawn »

I agree with Chris and also recommend this book. Our daughter was visiting, picked up the book, and read it cover-to-cover in one evening. Even though she is only an occasional angler, she enjoyed it too. It's a fun, easy read, whether you only have a few minutes to spare or the entire evening. Thanks Dave and Ron!

John Goll

Return to “Book Talk”