Greg Hoover

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

PA Limestoner
Master Guide

Greg Hoover

Post by PA Limestoner »

Sorry to learn that Greg Hoover passed away last Friday, May 12, 2023. He was a great fly fishing entomologist at Penn State University. He was a wealth of knowledge and generously shared it with all of us Pennsylvanians who were fortunate to know him all these years. He left us a great legacy with which to enjoy our sport.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Greg Hoover

Post by creakycane »

Greg certainly was a fine person and a fun companion. Sincerest condolences to his family and close friends.

https://www.adamofh.com/obituary/Gregor ... ributewall

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

This is sad news indeed. I had wondered how Greg was doing but had no luck contacting him a couple of seasons back. I have fond memories of taking him down to Falling Spring Branch nigh on thirty years ago to show him the Yellow Drakes. He was "working" while I fished a bit, collecting imagos to identify via DNA testing. He grew very excited when I had told him the hatch appeared about May 20th of each year, telling me it might be a rare species thought to be extinct. It took several years before there was an opportunity to do the DNA tests, and I would always ask if he had news whenever I would see him. A true gentleman and consummate professional, he finally got to run the tests. The flies were indeed Ephemera varia, the Yellow Drake, their early emergence date due to the stable temperature regime of the limestone spring creek.

He will be missed!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Bugtussel
Guide

Post by Bugtussel »

Sad news. Big part of my learning process when I started fly fishing and through the years.

Return to “Forum Announcements”